Temple Caravan Administration System

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I reply to you in your email and by PM. Thanks, marianomarini_vi!!!
daniel.ferreira-p40

Post by daniel.ferreira-p40 »

Hi everybody,

I am developing an app like this for my own stake, but using Java with some frameworks. I don't have anything functional now, but when I publish the first release I will announce here. So we can discuss some issues to get better the app.
Daniel de O. Ferreira
Fortaleza Brazil West Stake
Rodolfo Teófilo Ward
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I have already some question about it.
Expecially "reservation". I assumed it will be in a personal way (just one reservation per person). Now I realize that a person could do reservation for an entire family (2 or more poeple). At the moment he has to click 2 or more time reservation button.
This way I have one record for each reservation (even if for the same member).
When leader go to check reservations paid, he has a long list to watch on and check it one by one.
This could be annoing so I'm thinking to change radiobox into input field for reservation.
This way all can be done in one reservation record.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

daniel.ferreira wrote:Hi everybody,

I am developing an app like this for my own stake, but using Java with some frameworks. I don't have anything functional now, but when I publish the first release I will announce here. So we can discuss some issues to get better the app.

Thank you, Daniel! It's wonderful. As I can see, it's not a problem only for us in Brazil, but is a problem for members and leaders in other areas too. Have you an idea if your system can be easy translated to other languages? Another question is: your system is a web-based aplication or a Windows software built in Java?

I will wait to see your system!
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

marianomarini_vi wrote:I have already some question about it.
Expecially "reservation". I assumed it will be in a personal way (just one reservation per person). Now I realize that a person could do reservation for an entire family (2 or more poeple). At the moment he has to click 2 or more time reservation button.
This way I have one record for each reservation (even if for the same member).
When leader go to check reservations paid, he has a long list to watch on and check it one by one.
This could be annoing so I'm thinking to change radiobox into input field for reservation.
This way all can be done in one reservation record.

I imagine a little different thing for this. A father or mother can add informations for his children, for exemple, but the individual names need to appears in the reservation list. It's because leaders can generate reports to see each person going to temple, see the regularity of trips for Church members and evaluate if members aren't going and interview then to help in any questions. It's only an idea, but I understand can put in the system other functions more than only record trips. (I hope you can understand my bad English today :D)
daniel.ferreira-p40

Post by daniel.ferreira-p40 »

Hi Moretti,

internacionalization is very easy with Java. Just use a file with keys and values like this:

# english file
yesMessage=Yes
noMessage=No

so to add new language, just create another file with new values:

# french file
yesMessage=Oui
noMessage=Non

# portuguese file
yesMessage=Sim
noMessage=Não

and configure the application to use the appropriate file. Anybody can add a new language no deeper knowledge of programation. About the other question, yes, I am developing a web-based app. The requirements are like you told. A member of stake creates the caravans and the members add their names in the caravan their choice.
Daniel de O. Ferreira
Fortaleza Brazil West Stake
Rodolfo Teófilo Ward
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Interesting! If I can help with anything, tell me. Will be good talk with you in Portuguese! ^_^
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

It's done!
Component is very simple. Now I'm working on translation and documentation.
I need feedback to improve features and beauty.
It's integrated into joomla CMR and need UserMeta.
Things to do:
1. Travels and Reservations print.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Wonderful! I can't wait to see it!
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Ok. Now I prepare an installation zip file to upload into your system.
If portugues translation neede; follow this steps.
You (Moretti or whoever available) will find "it-IT.com_travels.ini" into "caravana/language/it_IT" and into "caravana/administrator/language/it_IT" directories.
Open one of them with a simple text editor and change italian words (after = sign).
Then save it in both directories as xx_YY.com_travels.ini.
Where xx_YY is the language code. I'm not sure if it's br_BR or pr_BR for portugues brazileiro.
Wait a couple of days for component installation.

Return to “Development Help Wanted”