Traditional mailing list?

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
nasfarley88

Traditional mailing list?

Post by nasfarley88 »

I'm currently stake clerk and I often find I need to forward emails from church offices or email all my clerks some information. Is there currently any way to have an official church mailing list (such as stake-country-calling@mailinglist.lds.org) based on MLS information? I'm aware of the 'Send a Message' feature on lds.org, but it would be much more helpful if I could send emails on from my tablet/computer without having to leave the email client.

Failing that, is there any specific instruction about using mailing lists? I've looked on lds.org and ldstech.org and not found anything yet.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Traditional mailing list?

Post by jdlessley »

nasfarley88 wrote:Is there currently any way to have an official church mailing list (such as stake-country-calling@mailinglist.lds.org) based on MLS information?
The instruction provided on RKATS at the Meetinghouse Technology section and on the Meetinghouse Technology Policy page, section 4.8.4, prohibits the use of cloud-based services for storing any membership related data.

Depending on how the restrictions in section 4.8, especially section 4.8.3, are interpreted it could be difficult to find a way to maintain a mailing list using e-mail addresses from MLS even on your personal computer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jdlessley wrote: Depending on how the restrictions in section 4.8, especially section 4.8.3, are interpreted it could be difficult to find a way to maintain a mailing list using e-mail addresses from MLS even on your personal computer.
The scope of the Meetinghouse Technology Policy is defined in Section 2.1. According to its plain language, the policy applies to "meetinghouses ... unless otherwise stated."

Please cite the language that states where the policy applies to your personal computer. It does not say "unless othewise implied" or "unless otherwise speculated upon in forum comments."

Section 4.8.4, regarding "cloud-based services" is such a case. There the scope is otherwise stated because cloud-based services clearly do not reside in the meetinghouse. I see no such language in section 4.8.3, which refers only to "third-party-software." And that term is itself defined expressly in section 3.10: "Any computer software program that was not created by the Church or is not approved for use on Church computers."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nasfarley88 wrote:Is there currently any way to have an official church mailing list (such as stake-country-calling@mailinglist.lds.org) based on MLS information?
There is something like that for people who have ldsmail accounts, but that's very limited - I think Stake Presidents and FHC directors.

So to answer your question, if there is such a service, it hasn't been revealed to us.

You might want to suggest that using the feedback link on the main lds.org page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”