Latest General Conference MP4 feed

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
slloyd

Latest General Conference MP4 feed

Post by slloyd »

Is there anywhere I can programatically download the latest General Conference Talks? I want to keep them on my PLEX server so that my family can watch them more frequently. I want to write a script that keeps them current on my PLEX server.

I looked around on the website and saw this: http://feeds.lds.org/lds-general-conference-sd-eng but it is blank. I want the 1080p MP4 download links.
mevans

Re: Latest General Conference MP4 feed

Post by mevans »

I went to the page, but didn't get a blank page. I saw an error:

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 39 at column 143: EntityRef: expecting ';'

Maybe it's the right page and it's broken? You can submit the bug through the Feedback link found at the bottom of most lds.org pages.

Alternatively, you could just go to the conference page and scrape the pages, drilling down until you get to the download for each talk. I believe it's managed by a content management system, so once you figure out the pattern, it's probably consistent. Of course, the church changes things periodically, so I don't know how long your script will work.
slloyd

Post by slloyd »

I thought about scraping it but was hoping for a consistent method. I did report it to the church via the Feedback link.
slloyd

Post by slloyd »

I just noticed something! The Feed is there but nothing shows on the page - probably due to that EntityRef bug. I can still get it via script though ;) The error is a typical one - not escaping the ampersand. You can fix it as follows:

Code: Select all

<?php
	$url='http://feeds.lds.org/lds-general-conference-sd-eng';
	$lines=file($url);
	//fix malformed & in links, etc
	foreach($lines as $i=>$line){
		$lines[$i]=str_replace('&','[[[amp]]]',$lines[$i]);
		$lines[$i]=str_replace('&','&',$lines[$i]);
		$lines[$i]=str_replace('[[[amp]]]','&',$lines[$i]);

}
	$content = implode('',$lines);
?>
Tonys

Post by Tonys »

Are you willing to teach a noob? How do I use this code with Plex for automatic updates? (I am currently looking into downloading each talk, rename {gen... sYYYYMMe### ...} place into tv folder, updating each file with...,...,...)
slloyd

Post by slloyd »

Tony, what are you running your PLEX server on? linux or windows? Do you have PHP installed on the PLEX server? Can you install a script?
slloyd

Post by slloyd »

hmm, since the name change it does not look like they have the feeds up anymore.
http://feeds.churchofjesuschrist.org/

Return to “Main Church Website”