Allowing out-of-unit leaders in YSA branch to access website and directory

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
abegregory

Allowing out-of-unit leaders in YSA branch to access website and directory

Post by abegregory »

I have searched the forum and Wiki, and I have not been able to locate an answer. I am a stake clerk in a stake that has a YSA branch that draws from 3 stakes. We recently reorganized the branch presidency, and the branch president and one counselor comes from a different stake.

I created an out-of-unit member record for the new branch president and counselor.

Question 1: These brethren want to be able to access website and directory info for their home wards and for the YSA branch. The "Temporary Membership Records" wiki page provides instructions for the stake website administrator to add them as "non-resident members" in the administrator section of the stake website. Is this referring to the classic website, and is thus outdated? Could someone provide me with more specific instructions?

Question 2: To create an MLS account in the YSA branch for these brethren, is it as easy as adding a new user in MLS that is linked to the out-of-unit membership record?

Many thanks in advance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

abegregory wrote:Question 1: These brethren want to be able to access website and directory info for their home wards and for the YSA branch. The "Temporary Membership Records" wiki page provides instructions for the stake website administrator to add them as "non-resident members" in the administrator section of the stake website. Is this referring to the classic website, and is thus outdated? Could someone provide me with more specific instructions?

You're right that the instructions to add someone as a non-resident member refer only to the classic website. Those instructions are not exactly outdated, since the classic website is still live. But since the classic website will soon be retired, that information will soon be obsolete.

As for the newer tools on LDS.org, you just need to create on out-of-unit membership record in MLS and assign the correct standard calling. The out-of-unit records need to be created in the branch MLS. For the branch president, the calling needs to be entered by the stake clerk (you in this case) in stake MLS, but for any other calling (such as the first counselor), the calling is entered in the branch MLS.

Once that is done, within 24-48 hours, those leaders should have access to the tools on LDS.org related to their callings. Certainly by that time, and I believe well before that, they will have the ability to see both their home ward and the YSA branch in the Directory.
abegregory wrote:Question 2: To create an MLS account in the YSA branch for these brethren, is it as easy as adding a new user in MLS that is linked to the out-of-unit membership record?
Yes, that's all that is needed. Make sure that you add them as a regular MLS user, and not as the special "out of unit administrator," of which there can only be two in the branch MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
abegregory

Post by abegregory »

Thank you the reply. This is very helpful. After creating the out of unit records, we assigned the brethren (using the out of unit records) to the standard callings (stake making branch president change in stake MLS, and branch making counselor change in branch MLS). We'll give it a few days to see if it works.

My concern came from my understanding that the out of unit record never "goes" to SLC, and instead stays only in the local MLS. Maybe this understanding is incorrect? If the out of unit record only stays local, then how is it "connected" to the person's LDS Access account?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

abegregory wrote:Thank you the reply. This is very helpful. After creating the out of unit records, we assigned the brethren (using the out of unit records) to the standard callings (stake making branch president change in stake MLS, and branch making counselor change in branch MLS). We'll give it a few days to see if it works.

My concern came from my understanding that the out of unit record never "goes" to SLC, and instead stays only in the local MLS. Maybe this understanding is incorrect? If the out of unit record only stays local, then how is it "connected" to the person's LDS Access account?
The out-of-unit record does indeed stay local but the calling gets sent to CDOL and the calling includes the persons membership number. The membership number is used to link to their LDS Account to give them rights based on the calling.

Return to “Main Church Website”