LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Post by sbradshaw »

prosilver has well-defined borders around posts (different shades of blue, instead of white being one of the colors), and margins on the left and right of the page to give context.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Admittedly the technique of referring to a post number was not entirely reliable,
I always laugh when someone says "see the post above this one" because it is always below for me. While I am okay with having post numbers, they are never correct for me. That's why I will usually say "the post before this one", or "two posts back" rather than reference a number.

Long ago, I switched the display so that the newest post is on top. Then I could open a topic, scroll down to where I had read, work my way up, and have all of the menu items immediately available after I finished reading.

So this will be post 1 for me, and post however high for nearly everyone else.
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

Note: if you copy the url for the specific post title it include the site-wide post number. ie:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142700

That post number does not show in the interface though.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Hovering over the title of the post (for example, "Re: LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?") also shows the post number, if you don't have your browser's status bar hidden.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TimRiker wrote:Note: if you copy the url for the specific post title it include the site-wide post number. ie:
I think he's referring to the thread post number. For example, I think this is post #55.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TimRiker wrote:Note: if you copy the url for the specific post title it include the site-wide post number. ie:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142700
No, that's not really true. There's certainly a URL I can grab from the title, but it doesn't look like the example you gave, and it's often not a reliable link to the post.

If you arrived at a page of posts within a topic using one of the page icons (the < 1 2 3 4 5 > near the top or bottom of any page of posts where a topic has more posts than fit on a page), then the URL in the post title looks more like:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p142826

Note that such a URL is basically telling phpBB to go to the 6th page of posts for the specified topic, and then tells the browser to go to the anchor on that page labeled p142826. But in my User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options, I can change "Display post order direction" from "ascending" to "descending" (that's the way lajackson orders his posts). If I do that, then the post in question will no longer appear on the 6th page of results -- it will be on the 1st page of results. That page has no anchor labeled p142826, so the post is not displayed.

If you want a reliable link to a post, you have to get one that has a "p=" query parameter. The easiest way to do that is to copy the URL from the little icon immediately below the post title (where the post # used to appear). Then you'll get a URL that looks like:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 26#p142826

Such a URL will link to the post, regardless of whether that post gets moved to another topic or forum, and is also independent of any user's post ordering preference. That URL can only be copied from that little icon (and it used to be that you could copy it from the post number within the topic, e.g., "#52", that appeared just below the post title).

One of the reasons I would like to see the post # within the topic to be displayed is that it makes it easier to copy the URL that will reliably allow anyone to get to that post. Other techniques result in unreliable links.
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

It does look like using the icon link instead of the title link for a post is more reliable.

I've seen a few plugins that add post numbers. The ones I've seen though, number the posts in the order they are currently displayed. ie: lajackson's #1 and my #1 are different posts. When a post is removed, the posts get renumbered. So, post #23 really does not uniquely identify a post.

I'm working on a "listener" hook now for WAM (our single sign on) that should be better at skipping the phpBB signon page and just using the SSO sign on page. Right now if you follow a link to the "newest post" in an alert email you get the phpBB signon page, where you can enter whatever you like, as you always get the SSO sign on page next which is the one that really matters. We had this working in phpBB 3.0.x but the 3.1.x design changes broke our plugin. This should effectively work the same once I have it done.
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

the listener event does not happen till later in the process. :(

However, we did overload the get_login_data() interface in an auth provider to do the redirects. This means that links in email to the forum that include login-required things like protected forums or #unread qualifiers will redirect to the SSO signin page first, and then drop you on the requested url target.

Holler if anyone is having signin issues!
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

kellymab wrote:I've noticed when visiting the forum the past few days, I can't see user names unless the name is Green or Red (moderators and administrators). I'm currently seeing the ldswhite on an iPhone 6 using both safari and chrome. It doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not.
Tanner found and fixed this one. The responsive style sheets were hiding the username on smaller screens which hid it all over the pages. Now it is correctly just collapsing the username in the header and leaves the ones in the posts alone.

Thanx!

Return to “Help with this forum”