LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDSTech forum reverted to phpBB theme after logging in?

Post by russellhltn »

TimRiker wrote:Is the new ldswhite not as functional as prosilver in some way?
I find it not as readable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I like the space with the latest ldswhite. I thought ldswhite3.1 had too much white space. I think prosilver is too compact.

I also use a smaller monitor, which has a direct impact on readability, so some extra space is helpful, and a lot is not.

Another issue for me is that I use a touch screen most of the time. So far, I have been able to hit the intended links, but it got close on ldswhite3.1 for a while in a few places.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I agree with russellhltn that the prosilver theme is more readable. I like the color contrast and compact design. But the official LDS header is nice so it's a hard decision whether or not to switch back to prosilver. I guess you can't please everyone. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thank you for fixing the "unread" icons so it's easier to see now. That was my biggest gripe with the old LDS theme.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One thing missing since the upgrade, regardless of which theme (board style) you use is the post number within the topic. That served two purposes: it provided a link to the post, which is still possible using the post icon in the upper left corner just below the post title.

But the second purpose is that it provided a way to refer to specific posts for people who didn't know how to use links to posts (or didn't bother to do so). You'll find many discussions where someone will say something like "In post #13, User X explained this". Now that the post numbers are gone, anyone trying to follow such a discussion will be a bit lost, particularly in topics with dozens of posts.

Admittedly the technique of referring to a post number was not entirely reliable, since deletion or moving of posts, or splitting of topics would make the numeric reference invalid, but in the vast majority of cases it was reliable, and it certainly was used as I described above.

Is there any chance we could get post numbers back?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I like the space with the latest ldswhite. I thought ldswhite3.1 had too much white space. I think prosilver is too compact.
I did some comparisons, and as near as I can tell, ldswhite and prosilver have exactly the same spacing except for one thing: ldswhite has smaller avatars, so there could be cases in prosilver where the larger avatar would cause a small post to take up more space (since the avatar plus the user information below it would be taller than the height of the post, and so would dictate a taller post).

The font is clearly different, but the overall spacing really seems to be the same. I do think that the font used in prosilver is more readable, which I think is the main factor that leads people to say that the prosilver theme is more readable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's a different font? I'm not seeing it - at least by looking.

I accidentally switched to 3.1 and found a much bigger font.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:It's a different font? I'm not seeing it - at least by looking.
Here are two examples:
ldswhite-font.png
ldswhite-font.png (18.36 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
prosilver-font.png
prosilver-font.png (22.5 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
The font face is definitely different for the line that says "by Russellhtln 14 Aug 2015". Examine the descender of the y in "by" and particularly the "g" in "Aug". The differences for the other elements are not as pronounced, but the sizes are certainly different; the signature font is bigger in prosilver, but the font used in the body of the post is smaller.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I've noticed when visiting the forum the past few days, I can't see user names unless the name is Green or Red (moderators and administrators). I'm currently seeing the ldswhite on an iPhone 6 using both safari and chrome. It doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:It's a different font? I'm not seeing it - at least by looking.
Pasting into Word, Prosilver comes out Trebuchet MS 10, while the ldswhite is Helvetica 10. Comparing them side-by-side, the Helvetica is a tad scrunched horizontally.

Return to “Help with this forum”