Open Source Digital Talking Book Player

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

thedqs wrote:Interesting, but just how are we going to be able to speed up or down without changing pitch. Or was that meaning to add/remove more space in silent regions?
There are signal processing methods for shrinking or expanding speech independent of pitch changes. At least when I studied signal processing, speech was generally handled by chopping the time-domain stream up into slices of (IIRC) about 50ms in duration. Each slice can be converted to the frequency domain and/or processed in other ways. One fairly simple way to shrink or stretch time would be to convert each slice to the frequency domain, rescale the spectrum by interpolation/decimation, then convert back to the time domain. A really simple way to stretch time by 2X would be to play each slice twice. The spectrum and pitch would be unchanged, but the rate of time passage would be changed.
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

I'm about ready to create a project on SF, but before I do so, does anyone have any good ideas for a name? The only completely unimaginative idea I was able to come up with is OpenDaisy.

Aaron
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

cannona wrote:I'm about ready to create a project on SF, but before I do so, does anyone have any good ideas for a name? The only completely unimaginative idea I was able to come up with is OpenDaisy.

Aaron
Is there a possibility that name might run into trademark-based legal problems?

(I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:Is there a possibility that name might run into trademark-based legal problems?

Valid point. I think it's quite possible that the DAISY Consortium who controls the Daisy specs or even Outerthought who makes the Daisy open-source content management system could complain.

Anyone know anyone who can look at the issues and tell us if we're close to having a problem? Otherwise, the best I can think of is some play on flowers. OpenPedels? Sunflower? A little move exotic, OpenOrchid? Or perhaps "open" as in opening the world of books? OpenReader?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Valid point. I think it's quite possible that the DAISY Consortium who controls the Daisy specs or even Outerthought who makes the Daisy open-source content management system could complain.

Anyone know anyone who can look at the issues and tell us if we're close to having a problem? Otherwise, the best I can think of is some play on flowers. OpenPedels? Sunflower? A little move exotic, OpenOrchid? Or perhaps "open" as in opening the world of books? OpenReader?
We could somehow do something with Helen Keller. Maybe just call it Helen, or Keller. OpenKeller? OpenHelen? Or what about Anne Sullivan, her tutor? OSK (OpenSullivanKeller)?

LOL, I don't know...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:We could somehow do something with Helen Keller.
The blind leading the blind? :rolleyes: I don't know as her tutor was that well known. I don't know as I'd want to head down the blind ally, road. While the blind would get the most use out of it, I'd think it would also be good for those who have time to listen, but not time to read - such as when driving.

Hmmmm BookWorm Reader?

Or something emphasizing the audio - Talking BookWorm? SpeakReader? AudioReader?

Poking around the Latin dictionary, I found something I really like: Littera. (a letter, a written sign or mark signifying a sound) Unfortunately littera.com and littera.org are already taken, so it would have to be something like litterareader if it was to get it's own website.

The reason I like the name is it's simple and elegant. I don't see any reason the reader has to be limited to English, so something that has a little more "universal" name would be nice. Officially it would probably be known as Littera Reader, but Littera for short.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:The blind leading the blind? :rolleyes: I don't know as her tutor was that well known. I don't know as I'd want to head down the blind ally, road. While the blind would get the most use out of it, I'd think it would also be good for those who have time to listen, but not time to read - such as when driving.

Hmmmm BookWorm Reader?

Or something emphasizing the audio - Talking BookWorm? SpeakReader? AudioReader?

Poking around the Latin dictionary, I found something I really like: Littera. (a letter, a written sign or mark signifying a sound) Unfortunately littera.com and littera.org are already taken, so it would have to be something like litterareader if it was to get it's own website.

The reason I like the name is it's simple and elegant. I don't see any reason the reader has to be limited to English, so something that has a little more "universal" name would be nice. Officially it would probably be known as Littera Reader, but Littera for short.
LOL, Babelfish says that daisy in Spanish is margarita.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Read (verb) in Latin is lego, and read aloud is recito.

Speaker in Latin is orator. What if we called it Dorator (where the D stands for DAISY)? I kind of like that...
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Lector is Latin for reader.

What about DAR (DAISY Audio Reader)?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkmurray wrote:Lector is Latin for reader.

What about DAR (DAISY Audio Reader)?
Already taken: "Disk ARchive" at http://dar.linux.free.fr/

Return to “Other Member Technologies”