LDS Open Source Projects

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

ScottyB wrote:I wonder if there's someplace other that this forum where a software list can be maintained (some wiki?)
I'm working on getting approval for a wiki but until then, I suggest http://www.ldsoss.org.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I know that wiki's can support media such as images, sound,etc. Would this wiki be spcial in that we can also host the code in a subversion or cvs type environment?
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I know that wiki's can support media such as images, sound,etc. Would this wiki be spcial in that we can also host the code in a subversion or cvs type environment?
Those are two separate packages I will need to work on getting approval for.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Good luck. I think that would be another part of this site that would increase traffic and give the community a common workground.
- David
alphabeta-p40

Post by alphabeta-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Slick!

Who owns the code now?

Technically the Lehi Utah West Stake, but I'll see if I can't drill down to the author.
albertoaflores-p40

Post by albertoaflores-p40 »

tomw wrote:If the intent was to make this networkable or web based, I totally agree with you. If it is designed to run on a local user's machine in a stand-alone environment (which it currently is) then an embedded database is much more effective in my opinion.

However it should be fairly trivial to support multiple DB backends.
I agree, however it would help to avoid a lot of headaches if you use JPA or an ORM framework (e.g. Hibernate) that can help migrate the app to be backed by any db (in the future). Using straight SQL in an application is probably not the best "scalable" idea.
Mr. M-p40

Sacramento Temple Open House/Dedication Mangement System

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

Ok, so I have no idea if it would be helpful or not but...

In August 2006, I was asked by the Sacramento Temple Commitee to construct a database to mange all the people that volunteered at the Open House and Dedication. It had a overall admin functionality, stake admin functionality and then ward level functionality. It was to manage the 21 stakes and all the vollunteers? I actually developed it for a year and then it was really used for the dedication.

Some features included:
  • Managing Commitees
  • Managing Commitee Date and Time Schedules
  • Managing Stakes and Stake Level Contacts
  • Managang Wards associated with Stakes
  • Managing Volunteers within Wards for specific assignments and dates.
  • Overall Calendar view of all Commitees with corresponding dates and time schedules with a click through drill down feature to volunteers.
  • Export of date or committee/date information (This was handy for printing daily badges etc.)
This list is really very small and simplified compared to what it does. Anyway, long story longer, it is obviously something that is very project (Temple Dedication Open House) specific and not something that everyone would be interested in but do any of you guys at the church want the code to see if it can be used for future temple dedications? It was written in Classic ASP and has a SQL Server backend...before anyone asks, it was hosting constraints. :)

If nobody wants it, it will probably just sit and waste away on my box until I am called to the another Temple Executive Committee...lol.

Let me know...if anyone is interested in it. I am not hosting a current version anywhere because as you know the temple is up and running now but if someone wants me to stand it up to look at, I can...I would just need a couple days to clear all the data in it.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Mr. M wrote:Ok, so I have no idea if it would be helpful or not but...

In August 2006, I was asked by the Sacramento Temple Commitee to construct a database to mange all the people that volunteered at the Open House and Dedication. It had a overall admin functionality, stake admin functionality and then ward level functionality. It was to manage the 21 stakes and all the vollunteers? I actually developed it for a year and then it was really used for the dedication.

Some features included:
  • Managing Commitees
  • Managing Commitee Date and Time Schedules
  • Managing Stakes and Stake Level Contacts
  • Managang Wards associated with Stakes
  • Managing Volunteers within Wards for specific assignments and dates.
  • Overall Calendar view of all Commitees with corresponding dates and time schedules with a click through drill down feature to volunteers.
  • Export of date or committee/date information (This was handy for printing daily badges etc.)
This list is really very small and simplified compared to what it does. Anyway, long story longer, it is obviously something that is very project (Temple Dedication Open House) specific and not something that everyone would be interested in but do any of you guys at the church want the code to see if it can be used for future temple dedications? It was written in Classic ASP and has a SQL Server backend...before anyone asks, it was hosting constraints. :)

If nobody wants it, it will probably just sit and waste away on my box until I am called to the another Temple Executive Committee...lol.

Let me know...if anyone is interested in it. I am not hosting a current version anywhere because as you know the temple is up and running now but if someone wants me to stand it up to look at, I can...I would just need a couple days to clear all the data in it.
During the Newport Beach temple open house there was a similar program that I used written by someone local to that temple. I'm sure that this type of product could be re-used. I'll circulate this post to the internally at the Church and get back with you.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:
  • [thread=113]Scripture Software[/thread] Hosted BYU Personal Page but will move to SourceForge once someone creates a project for it.
Just as an update, this project has been put on SourceForge a little while back under the project name Scripture Study Plus.
ebastow

Post by ebastow »

I had a request from the new Stake Patriarch to get him a OpenOffice EWriter template to use for his Blessings (instead of typing them on, or guessing on the screen....

I made the tempate, but I can seem to be able to lock the from so that it can work with the PC on the floor. Need to know how to protect the areas of the tempate, and make the parts of the table open to type in....

Thanks, Evan Bastow
Attachments
Patriarchal Blessing Form Sample.odt
(25.29 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

Return to “Other Member Technologies”