List of iPhone app developers on forum

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
cgriffin-p40

Throwing my hat in

Post by cgriffin-p40 »

I've been an Macintosh developer since 1984, I bought an iPhone the day they came out, and I am currently developing an iPhone application. One might even get the impression that I really like Apple products. :) I would love to lend my support, in any way, to any iPhone project that may come along. I feel there are some good examples of what can be done on the iPhone to support the scriptures. I believe that a product like the iPhone makes it possible to do some interesting things with linking and cross referencing. I also believe that while a scripture app for the iPhone should be reasonably flexible, there is also an opportunity to guide the user in meaningful ways to study the scriptures.

Chris
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

mkmurray wrote:Keyword there being "traffic," as this was only an analysis of people using their smart phones to browse websites.

But this does show the iPhone's stranglehold on the market. :)
I dont know how it works in the US but iPhone contracts here in the UK are expensive (compared to Windows Mobile and others) and therefore they will also have to include free web access which should explain the high traffic and give an indication actual market share is much lower.

On top of that the iPhone seems more popular in the US than rest of the world which made me curious about the focus in this area. To me it still seems like the mobile market is very fragmented.

Great product though.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:I dont know how it works in the US but iPhone contracts here in the UK are expensive (compared to Windows Mobile and others) and therefore they will also have to include free web access which should explain the high traffic and give an indication actual market share is much lower.

On top of that the iPhone seems more popular in the US than rest of the world which made me curious about the focus in this area. To me it still seems like the mobile market is very fragmented.

Great product though.
From talking with Tom Welch, the impression I get is that the Church would like to start with an iPhone application and see how that goes. The hope is that the project is successful and the project branches to other mobile platforms from there.
KCSureShot-p40

Question

Post by KCSureShot-p40 »

Guys,

I'm currently going to start developing iphone apps and I'm wondering where do you get the LDS Scriptures in a data format for use in an iphone?

Thanks

John
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

KCSureShot wrote:Guys,

I'm currently going to start developing iphone apps and I'm wondering where do you get the LDS Scriptures in a data format for use in an iphone?

Thanks

John
Let me just warn you that the current iPhone apps that have been developed are either using the scriptures without license or they are using the Public Domain versions of some of the scriptures. There has only been one version of the Book of Mormon released under Public Domain, and that was back in 1920. However, Doctrine and Covenants nor Pearl of Great Price have ever been released under Public Domain. Any application using that content is most likely doing so without license from the Church. See the following thread from a Church employee for more information:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post23261

The good news is that the Church wants to provide an approved outlet for iPhone development by sponsoring a Community Project. The functional specifications are still being drafted by Tom and will likely be posted very soon to the Wiki. The Church will need volunteers like you for the project, so keep a close eye on this thread for when a link is posted.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

KCSureShot wrote:Guys,

Thanks

John
We are just getting started with a community project to develop an official iPhone (and eventually other platforms) version of the scriptures. Search for "iPhone" on the lds Tech wiki.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:We are just getting started with a community project to develop an official iPhone (and eventually other platforms) version of the scriptures. Search for "iPhone" on the lds Tech wiki.

Tom
With Tom spilling the beans, I'll go ahead and post a direct link: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/IPh ... pplication
splassle

idea for moble scriptures

Post by splassle »

I find that it is smart to be using the SQLite, because there are libraries all ready for Android for use with that. Now for a platform, since the Android uses Java as a platform and all the rest don't you can't really focus that way but if you where to use Webkit, which Safari and the Google Chrome and the Android browsers are based off, it think it would make it much easier for cross platform programming.

Good luck on it all.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

splassle wrote:I find that it is smart to be using the SQLite, because there are libraries all ready for Android for use with that. Now for a platform, since the Android uses Java as a platform and all the rest don't you can't really focus that way but if you where to use Webkit, which Safari and the Google Chrome and the Android browsers are based off, it think it would make it much easier for cross platform programming.

I'm a fan of SQLite, but it is not perfect. One downside is the lack of support for string functions found in some other SQL implementations. That might make it difficult to build any text-search functionality into such an app. Perhaps there are workarounds. Overall, SQLite may still be the best choice.
KCSureShot-p40

Post by KCSureShot-p40 »

Thanks for the information. I'll email Tom directly with details on my programming background and with questions on what I can do to get involved in this community effort.

John

Return to “Other Member Technologies”