Webcasting sacrament meeting to shut-ins

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Webcasting sacrament meeting to shut-ins

Post by lajackson »

The Church used to broadcast (on BYU-TV, I think) a meeting identical to sacrament meeting without the sacrament. Hymns, prayers, speakers. Do they still do that?

We used to refer our homebound members to that broadcast, and then send in the priests from time to time, usually quarterly, to administer the sacrament.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:The Church used to broadcast (on BYU-TV, I think) a meeting identical to sacrament meeting without the sacrament. Hymns, prayers, speakers. Do they still do that?
Yes. It's called Worship Service, and it airs each Sunday at 9:00am Mountain Time. But although BYUtv continues to air it, I don't think they're creating any new episodes. It looks like it's just the same 28 episodes from 8 or 9 years ago playing over and over again.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

You're right. They just show the old episodes (so the rotation restarts about twice a year) but they're actually more like 20 years old. Back then, the church shared a satellite channel with some other churches, as I recall, and this program showed our version of a Sunday meeting. They could really use some fresh material. If any viewer thinks that our women are currently wearing those styles of clothes and hairdos then we truly will be thought of as a peculiar people.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Perhaps I could just watch the 28 episodes and then not need to attend sacrament meeting any longer? [grin] Just kidding.

I do believe personally that the ordinance is the reason for the restriction on broadcasting sacrament meeting. But that is my own personal opinion, and not binding on my whatever the lawyers would say, including other priesthood leaders.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:I do believe personally that the ordinance is the reason for the restriction on broadcasting sacrament meeting. But that is my own personal opinion, and not binding on my whatever the lawyers would say, including other priesthood leaders.
Interesting you would say this since the Handbook says does not single out Sacrament meetings. The handbook covers all "meetings and other events that are held in the Chapel".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:the Handbook says does not single out Sacrament meetings. The handbook covers all "meetings and other events that are held in the Chapel".
'Tis a puzzle.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:'Tis a puzzle.
I see no Puzzle the wording is quite simple and direct.

Even the term of what would be considered a broadcast becomes clear if you look up the latest definitions in Websters.

broadcast n (1922) 1: the act of transmitting sound of images by radio or television

Of course the handbook clarifies it in more detail "over the Internet or by any other means"
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

lajackson wrote:Perhaps I could just watch the 28 episodes and then not need to attend sacrament meeting any longer? [grin] Just kidding.
I'll be glad to keep showing up at the building but I'm intrigued by the idea that the meeting could only last 30 minutes (which is about how long my little daughter lasts in a typical meeting these days). We are among the few who have Sacrament Meeting last, by the way. :cool:
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Gary_Miller wrote:Even the term of what would be considered a broadcast becomes clear if you look up the latest definitions in Websters.

broadcast n (1922) 1: the act of transmitting sound of images by radio or television
Your definition is correct. The word broadcast means to transmit to a broad audience, which IMO, is not a transmission to an overflow room, another building, or a shut-in. Take for example, Part 97 of the FCC rules, where it clearly forbids Amateur Radio operators from broadcasting on the ham bands. We can transmit one-to-one, or even one-to-many, but NEVER one-to-the-listening-public. The former are examples of "radio transmissions", the latter is defined as "radio broadcasting".

I really don't want to split hairs on terminology. My position is that stake presidents are given the keys to such decisions, not me or anyone else under them. As an STS, if I'm asked by my stake president to transmit a sacrament meeting talk to a shut-in, I do it. If I felt inclined, I may ask about the HB, but his decision is final. If a new stake president takes over and asks that we cease the practice, I would cease. I really don't see what the big deal is. I firmly believe this is what is meant by sustaining my leaders.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:
russellhltn wrote:'Tis a puzzle.
I see no Puzzle the wording is quite simple and direct.
The puzzle is the underlying "why".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”