Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rogerscr

Re: Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Post by rogerscr »

Has anyone tried an Ethernet to RS-422 server device? I am looking at this one in particular http://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/S ... NETRS2321E
We are likely only going to have a one camera so no video switching/mixing will be needed. I figure if I connect a temporary WiFi AP to the wired building ethernet that is secure (since the LDSAccess WiFi will be disabled for the webcast) then I could be anywhere in range of the AP controlling the camera.

Anyone have experience with this?
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

rogerscr wrote:Has anyone tried an Ethernet to RS-422 server device?
[. . .]
Anyone have experience with this?
I don't know about that particular one, but I use one from GridConnect for a different application nearly every day. I works great for me. I believe this one is RS232, nor RS-422. But they do have other products including some that use WIFI rather than Ethernet.

http://gridconnect.com/rs232-rj45.html
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

I just got the Camera and Webcast Communicator today. I connected a monitor and checked out the hardware (Intel Atom Dual Core with Hyperthreading). One thought, has anyone connected a USB to RS-232/422 adapter and the camera control software to the Webcast Communicator?

I figure with remote control software like VNC installed it should be possible to remotely control the camera without concern about driver compatibility. What do you think?
michaelfish

Servo Joystick controller for $350

Post by michaelfish »

Instead of forking out $1,800 for a Vaddio or $1,300 for a Precision Joystick Servo controller, check out the 3 Axis keyboard control for PTZ cameras. This device has all of the precision of the Vaddio and Sony controller for only $350 and fully supports Sony EVI-D70 PTZ control as well as other brands. You can find them on eBay. Although it does not have picture controls (iris, gain, AWB, red, blue, detail, etc.), it DOES have the same precision joystick servo control found on the Vaddio or Sony as well as multiple-camera support and camera presets. It supports both RS-232 and RS-422 VISCA protocol communication using the easy to connect Phoenix connector.

It is made in China but I've tested this out and it is a great value. It sure beats I/R or computer control.

Search eBay for "3 Axis keyboard control for PTZ camera Sony VISCA"

Supports SONY BRC-H700/Z700 BRC-300/300P EVI-D100/D100P/S EVI-D70/D70P/W EVI-D30/D30P SNC-RZ30N/RZ30P EVI-HD1 EVI-HD3V SONY EVI-HD7V HD BRC-Z330 DXC-390/390P DXC-990/990P Polycom MPTZ-6、MPTZ-9 CISCO Camera 720P/1080P Panasonic AW-HE50S/H,AW-HE100;AW-PH300-650 Protocols: VISCA、POLYCOM、CISCO、CANON、Panasonic、PELCOD、PELCO-P
kentjorgensen

Post by kentjorgensen »

I purchased a "3 Axis keyboard control for PTZ camera Sony VISCA" but have not been able to get it to work. I connected the 2 connectors on the RS485 B-, A+ connector to the Sony VISCA RS-422 connectors 3 and 4 as shown in the instruction manual. However the joystick does not control the camera at all.

The manual is very cryptic to say the least. It gives almost NO instructions. It is more a poorly translated technical specification sheet, from the Chinese language, than a user's manual.

Are there better instructions somewhere? I am not familiar with RS-422 or how to debug the problem.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Do you have a URL to the instruction manual or only a paper version? Please send the URL if you have one. If you have a model or product number, that might help us find the instructions. Are there diagrams you could attach that might help us understand how to help? Unless there's somebody with specifically relevant experience, we'll need more info on what you have connected to what.

I'm not acquainted with the VISCA protocol, but RS-422 is basically a differential version of RS-232 but (in my observations) with smaller voltage swings. IIUC, RS-485 adds a protocol to allow multi-directional communication over a single pair of wires. Please make sure the signal wires are connected in pairs. If it's pure RS-422, there may be two pairs, one pair for each direction. In that case, make sure you have talkers connected to listeners, rather than talkers to each other and listeners to each other. An oscilloscope can show bits being sent on a pair of wires.

(The instructions might be translated from Japanese if the device was designed in Japan and only manufactured in China. If that's the case, a Yoda-to-English translator might help. Yoda's word order is very close to Japanese word order.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:In that case, make sure you have talkers connected to listeners, rather than talkers to each other and listeners to each other.
I seem to recall another thread where the connection that worked was completely backwards from anything we expected based on the labeling. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment in connecting the 4 wires in different ways.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

1. Since I was the one who made the suggestion, I'll help you find the solution
2. Isn't this Forum Great? I know a couple of STS's here who use the controller and if you PM me, I can give you their contact information. They'll gladly help you over the phone.
3. The unit can be programmed for either RS-232 (two wires) or RS-422 (4 wires) but the camera will need to have it's DIP switch in the correct position, as well as the buad rate.

Mike
michaelfish

Android App: Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Post by michaelfish »

FYI, there is an Android app which claims to be able to control the Sony EVI series cameras such as the EVI-D70.

It is called CamRobot (http://www.videobotics.com/camrobot.html) and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. There are different versions from free and limited to paid and full-featured (pricing has not been announced yet), but there are some cool things it can do from your Android device.

YouTube video demo: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0pvo6xxuBk)
normanwatson

Post by normanwatson »

Is the sony d70 good for church live streaming and recording? I can get it on ebay for $100.00 also what exactly would I need to connect it to the windows 7 computer? I am useing OBS to live stream and record.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”