Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
davidgil-p40

Post by davidgil-p40 »

Hi All,
We've been looking at the Sony EVI-D70 the church has on the website, however I'm a little concerned about the best way to control it. I have about a 100 foot cable run that I will need to make. I'm assuming that I would need to use the RS-422 cable for that length. Does any one know if the camera includes the control software? Has anyone succesfully used this camera by interfacing RS-422 cable with a computer? Any other suggestions on controlling it (low cost)?
Thanks very much,
David
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I have not used the RS-422 controls but have used the hand remote on one at three events. It works great. We had the camera sitting on a tripod on the 3rd clerks office and controlled it from the overflow area watching a TV.

I am also interested in the computer controls. The computer will need a RS-422 interface card to allow the communications.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

PaulBB1 wrote:The computer will need a RS-422 interface card to allow the communications.
There's several ways that can be done. The difference between RS-422 and RS-232 is in the physical layer. Both are serial communications using the same protocol. So a simple adapter would work at well.

The real questions is what's the cost effective way to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

If I remember right the RS-232 connector is a D Connector 9 pin serial port. So a standard RS-232 serial card will work? Should be cheap. The problem as I see it is the putting a cable through conduit to the Library/satellite cabinet and then connecting the wires to the correct pins.

I wonder if I still have my pin removal tool?

And then there is the software. Your right is it worth it when the remote works great.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

PaulBB1 wrote:If I remember right the RS-232 connector is a D Connector 9 pin serial port. So a standard RS-232 serial card will work?
With an adapter.

IIRC, the big difference between 232 and 422 is that 232 has a single ground wire and all signals reference it. 422 uses a differential pair - meaning that when one wire is driven positive, the other is driven negative. There is no "ground" line.

However, the whole concept of serial data, speed, start/stop bits, etc are all the same. So once you can adapt electrically, the higher layers of the protocol stack should work.

So your choice is to add a 422 card or to find a 232 to 422 adapter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:With an adapter.

IIRC, the big difference between 232 and 422 is that 232 has a single ground wire and all signals reference it. 422 uses a differential pair - meaning that when one wire is driven positive, the other is driven negative. There is no "ground" line.

However, the whole concept of serial data, speed, start/stop bits, etc are all the same. So once you can adapt electrically, the higher layers of the protocol stack should work.

So your choice is to add a 422 card or to find a 232 to 422 adapter.
All of the above is correct. If you can't find an adapter between 232 and 422, it is pretty easy to build one. I think I have the hand-drawn schematic for the one I built several years ago. Please inform if it is needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have seen at least one implementation of 422 that included tri-state/buss arrangement. But since we're looking to interface the "master", I don't think it's an issue. It would be the cameras that would go tri-state.

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:I have seen at least one implementation of 422 that included tri-state/buss arrangement. But since we're looking to interface the "master", I don't think it's an issue. It would be the cameras that would go tri-state.
The form with the tristates is called RS-485, described in this page: http://www.rs485.com/rs485spec.html
davidgil-p40

Post by davidgil-p40 »

Thank you for all the replys. Some of you have mentioned using the hand remote. I'm assuming this has to be line-of-site to use. Is this correct? Unfortunately for me my control room is not line of site to where the camera will be.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At one time IR extenders were quite popular.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”