Webcast without a receiving building?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
shanebankhead

Webcast without a receiving building?

Post by shanebankhead »

I was just asked to broadcast a Christmas program this Sunday. This is a ward event, but was requested by the Stake President due to some special circumstances. However, it would not be a building-to-building broadcast, it would be intended to allow some members to view the program that cannot attend in person (including the Bishop). So I have two questions:

Is this an appropriate use of the system? I can't find anything in the policies or guidelines that indicate there is anything wrong with this. The only thing that is really specified is that webcasts should be authorized by the Stake President, which is the case here.

Second, how does this work if we do not activate one of the receiving buildings, and only dial in through the member URL? Will the system buck me off if we start the event and no receiving buildings are connected? Would I set this up differently than a normal webcast?

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Webcast without a receiving building?

Post by russellhltn »

shanebankhead wrote:Is this an appropriate use of the system? I can't find anything in the policies or guidelines that indicate there is anything wrong with this. The only thing that is really specified is that webcasts should be authorized by the Stake President, which is the case here.
Where is the meeting being held? Handbook 2: 21.2.10 "Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception)."

18.3.1 is stake conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

shanebankhead wrote:Let me know if you have any thoughts on this,
The webcast system is intended for stake conference meetings, or more widely attended meetings such as regional training, firesides, or conferences where broadcasts are authorized by general authorities. For a situation such as this, I believe the stake president may wish to counsel with his assigned area seventy, especially since it probably will require Handbook exceptions.

If it is a sacrament meeting, the Handbook does not allow you to broadcast it.

To answer your technical question, a webcast, can have one receiving location and use the event code for the others. You would want to have one computer use the receiving location code and stream the broadcast, whether the computer is at that location or somewhere else. If you have the bandwidth, you could do it with another laptop at the originating location. We sometimes do this for special tests.
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

OK, thanks for the feedback. @russellhltn that quote from the handbook is more direct. The verbiage in the "Webcast Policies" page here: https://www.lds.org/help/support/webcas ... s?lang=eng
seems more ambiguous to me, which is why I wasn't sure.

I'll talk to the stake president about this and we'll figure something out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

shanebankhead wrote:The verbiage in the "Webcast Policies" page here: https://www.lds.org/help/support/webcas ... s?lang=eng
seems more ambiguous to me, which is why I wasn't sure.
Agreed. That line is rather flawed given the verbiage in the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”