Can't setup 2 receive PC's in 1 building?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Can't setup 2 receive PC's in 1 building?

Post by Mikerowaved »

Thanks for all your suggestions. Since the "cry rooms" will be used to receive present and future webcasts, I went ahead and created two "custom locations" that used the same physical address as the meeting houses, but gave them an identifiable name, such as, "Evergreen Building Primary Room". Yes, there will be (at least) one assistant in the chapel and one in the Primary room for each ward building. Depending on what the members want, it may end up being the RS room with softer chairs, but that can get ironed out down the road.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yes, there will be (at least) one assistant in the chapel and one in the Primary room for each ward building.
Last I tried, you can put the same assistant, including yourself, for every broadcast location. I did that one time in setting up a test broadcast where the receiving participants had not been identified.

I believe the information is important and would be used during an actual webcast if there were catastrophic problems at a receiving site. So it is better if correct names are used. But the key is that everyone click on the correct URL for their receiving location. It can really get confusing if someone trips up that one.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Last I tried, you can put the same assistant, including yourself, for every broadcast location. I did that one time in setting up a test broadcast where the receiving participants had not been identified.
Yes you can, and that's fine for testing, but for a live webcast wouldn't the unnamed assistants need my LDS Account credentials to select a receive site?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yes you can, and that's fine for testing, but for a live webcast wouldn't the unnamed assistants need my LDS Account credentials to select a receive site?
I don't think so. They do need to sign in with their LDS Account, but they can go to the event page and (we have had it happen) click on any of the available links successfully.

And for one actual conference broadcast, a receiving unit said they could not connect to their URL, so I had someone else at the stake center do it, successfully. We then dropped the URL, and I walked the receiving unit assistant through the copy/paste function (he had tried to type in the URL, which was likely the problem). He successfully received the broadcast.

On several occasions, I have also signed into various available URLs after the conference had concluded and the receiving unit had dropped off the webcast.

Because there is a great possibility for mischief, I have emphasized to assistants that they select the correct link, and to the stake presidency that they select the correct individuals for the calling.

On the other hand, I do not wish to have it locked down too tightly. We have many occasions where a stand-in is running the receiving webcast due to on-call work, military deployment, and a host of other reasons. We appreciate the flexibility. And in the event of a total crisis or miscommunication, the event code is still available for recovery.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

One more way to consider is using the event code. A member of the stake would just have to login to the system and in the home page use the event code to get the event. Using this way would make that particular receive location be considered a non-configured location under the person who logged in and logs wouldn't be collected, but the event would be viewable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can't find the post now, but I thought someone mentioned setting up a relay such that only one stream needed to come across the ISP, but it could be broadcasted to multiple devices in the meetinghouse. That sounds really useful in some situations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:I can't find the post now, but I thought someone mentioned setting up a relay such that only one stream needed to come across the ISP, but it could be broadcasted to multiple devices in the meetinghouse. That sounds really useful in some situations.
This post?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I can't find the post now, but I thought someone mentioned setting up a relay such that only one stream needed to come across the ISP, but it could be broadcasted to multiple devices in the meetinghouse. That sounds really useful in some situations.
This post?
Only if I'm remembering it wrong. I thought it was something that worked on the IP stream itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”