Vidiu - Video and Audio Sped Up - Sound like Mickey Mouse

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
keber

Vidiu - Video and Audio Sped Up - Sound like Mickey Mouse

Post by keber »

I'm using the Vidiu encoder and testing for Stake Conference with a standard def camera. I either get a 60 hertz hum when I connect the audio out of the Meetinghouse Audio/Video Distribution Hub (AVDH) - AVDH-1 directly to the Vidiu device with good video or when I use a Composite to HDMI Converter for both video and sound then I get a sped up video and audio with the sound like Mickey Mouse or Alvin, Simon, and Theodore - "the chipmunks". Any ideas? Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Vidiu - Video and Audio Sped Up - Sound like Mickey Mouse

Post by lajackson »

What VidiU software version are you using?
keber

Post by keber »

I'm using the hardware device and I've tried it with firmware 2.4.7 and most recently 2.4.10 with the same results.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

keber wrote:when I use a Composite to HDMI Converter for both video and sound then I get a sped up video and audio with the sound like Mickey Mouse or Alvin, Simon, and Theodore - "the chipmunks".
Are you able to control the sampling rate for the audio on the converter? The only thing I can think of is that the Vidiu doesn't like the sample rate the converter is using.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
keber

Post by keber »

I don't think there is an option for sampling rate but I'll check. I'll also try another HDMI cable to see if that is an issue. Is there a recommended converter that I should be using? Is so what kind and where do I get one? Thanks.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

keber wrote:I don't think there is an option for sampling rate but I'll check. I'll also try another HDMI cable to see if that is an issue. Is there a recommended converter that I should be using? Is so what kind and where do I get one? Thanks.
Double check the audio settings in the Vidiu. In this link to to the Help Centre https://www.lds.org/help/support/contro ... u?lang=eng pay particular attention to the text, which is correct, rather than the screen shots. The text was recently updated, but not the screenshots.

We use the Startech Video Converter as listed in this link https://www.lds.org/help/support/webcas ... s?lang=eng Ensure that the audio is fed directly into the Vidiu and not the video converter, As I did accidentally. It created all manner of sound problems, but not the symptoms you are experiencing. The audio settings I mentioned above, assume this is how the sound is connected.

Hope this helps you to get to the bottom of the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As for the hum, you can look for a "ground lift" device - essentially a isolation transformer to break a "ground loop". I know Radio Shack used to carry one for car installations. I see some on Amazon.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”