Vidiu firmware versions

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rwardell

Vidiu firmware versions

Post by rwardell »

Hello all. I have a conference next week and have not updated the firmware for a while as previously our instructions were to avoid using the latest version of firmware on the vidiu. The instructions today say to go to teradek and get the firmware. (2.4.9 is the latest on the teradek site) Are we good to go with the latest and greatest out there or should I stick with the version that worked 6 months ago? After this latest 'upgrade' I'm not in a hurry to upset the apple cart.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Vidiu firmware versions

Post by lajackson »

rwardell wrote:I'm not in a hurry to upset the apple cart.
My philosophy exactly. Although the caution not to upgrade is no longer shown at the website, I did a stake conference two weeks ago with the 2.4.7 software and it worked perfectly well. I am sure that some ambitious folks will upgrade and be the first to let us know how it works.

On the other hand, the 2.4.9 software actually works for the webcast. You just can't monitor the connections with that version to troubleshoot if anything is amiss.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Version 2.4.10 has just been released. Can this be used now, or are we still advised to stick with 2.4.7?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:Version 2.4.10 has just been released. Can this be used now, or are we still advised to stick with 2.4.7?
You might look at this post before you change versions. There may be no connection at all, but my antenna went up.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:
Biggles wrote:Version 2.4.10 has just been released. Can this be used now, or are we still advised to stick with 2.4.7?
You might look at this post before you change versions. There may be no connection at all, but my antenna went up.
FWIW - This is why I posted the question, in the hope that one of the tech people would clarify the current position. Yesterday was the last time I checked the portal website and it wasn’t displaying the “do not use the later version” warning notification and hasn’t done so for a while.

The notice has vanished before, only to be restored after a gentle nudge from the question being raised here on the Tech Forum.

I’m sticking with 2.4.7 until I hear otherwise.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Here is the scoop on the firmware version of the Vidiu. Versions 2.4.8 - 2.4.10 will encode properly and will not hurt the broadcast in any way. However, if looking at the encoding stats/logs, it relays that the encode rate is lower then it really is. This doesn't hurt anything, however if something goes wrong and the stats/logs are needed, it can be deceiving in trying to figure out the problem. If you are comfortable and understand the stats/logs issue, then going to 2.4.10 is fine. (I used it with my stake conference just this last week and things were fine.)
rwardell

Post by rwardell »

thanks all. I just ran my broadcast this last weekend and it went well. the stats however looked to be incorrect with 2.4.7 as well as we were only showing 60 on the quality but those links are clean. I'll run my upgrade and be ready for the next go round.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you for the updated information on why!

Sorry another question :)

Will the encoding issue be resolved, either through the Vidiu firmware, or a rewrite of the portal software, or will we just have to live with the problem?
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Biggles wrote:Will the encoding issue be resolved, either through the Vidiu firmware, or a rewrite of the portal software, or will we just have to live with the problem?
Definitely not have to live with it. We've been in contact with VidiU and are figuring out what the exact cause is and the solution. Since it doesn't effect the broadcast, its not top priority....close, but not top. The client player browser issue is on top right now.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Hi

I've been having issues with the stats. Can I ask what's the client browser issue? Is the the warning to use ie at the receive sites. Would the browser issue cause what I have seen on my separate post. https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p177040

Can the vidiu firmware version effect the stats as I've seen in my other post above.

Thanks in advance

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”