Recent OBS use / audio settings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
dnslynn

Recent OBS use / audio settings

Post by dnslynn »

Has anyone used OBS recently? I used it without a problem about 6 months ago, but my most recent use had audio issues. My previous audio setting was for a mono 32 kbps stream. This resulted in the streamed audio sounding like a chipmunk effect had been applied. Moving to 160 kbps seemed to improve things, but still raised the speaker's apparent frequency a bit. If you have used it recently, I would appreciate your sharing the all the settings you used.

Thanks,
D.W. Lynn
aaroncox32

Re: Recent OBS use / audio settings

Post by aaroncox32 »

Having the same issues, would appreciate hearing what the solution is if anyone replies.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What server are you using? I think there's a issue with the church system where it's recommended to run stereo - otherwise odd things happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

It was worst from 3:00 -- 5:00 PST on mhw2-west5, although I thought I switched to stereo (at the suggestion of support), but then, when frazzled, I may not have restarted OBS. The evening session (6:00 -- 8:00) was tolerable at 160 Kbps audio, but the speaker frequency was noticeably elevated. That was on mhw2-west6. Our Sunday session (10:00 -- 12:00) on mhw71-west went much better. I started it at 48 kbps (based on the settings page for the Vidiu) stereo, and since that worked at the beginning before the meeting started, I switched down to mono, which also worked.
However, I have to say that I had another problem with the first two webcasts that I did not mention earlier -- I had a lot of noise in my OBS PC audio -- I think I likely have a ground loop between it and the audio mixer. Because the mixer also has USB out, I switched over to that for the Sunday session to eliminate the ground-loop noise. I started to think, after that "appeared" to solve both problems, that maybe they were related. It could be possible that the noise was interfering with the audio codec in OBS, not letting it compress as much as normal and so to stay in sync with the video, audio frames were being dropped regularly leading to the choppy / chipmunk effect. But maybe not, Maybe it was just the different servers, Too many variables to know for sure without further testing.
Thanks for your responses.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

I can't comment on OBS, but the bug in which russellhltn mentioned is still there. Its using the Mono setting, at least through the VidiU. I h ave no idea if this would effect OBS, my guess is that it might. The work around is using stereo as was mentioned.
pete.arnett

Recent OBS & VidiU audio setting - Stereo

Post by pete.arnett »

Used OBS version v0.659b, (not OBS Studio), for remote meetinghouses to test on the following dates, using headquarters (Microsoft) EastUS2-1 servers with no issues
..Tue 31Jan2017 7pm (EST) for 1 hour
.. Wed 18Jan2017 7pm (EST) for 1 hour

OBS Encoding settings:
..Audio Encoding
....Channel: Stereo

So, it appears that the Teradek VidiU and OBS both require Audio Encoding to be set to stereo

MHTech.LDS.org text (not the image) has been updated to show current audio settings for Teradek VidiU:
Configure VidiU Broadcast Settings
..Configure Audio Input Settings
From the VidiU Web Interface, select "Settings" then click on the "Audio" icon. Configure your settings as instructed below:
1. Audio Source: "Analog" (unless audio will be embedded in the HDMI cable)
2. Channel: "Stereo"
. . .
https://www.lds.org/help/support/contro ... u?lang=eng

Wirecast users watch out

OBS Settings
OBS Encoding.jpg
OBS Encoding
(69.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Also, please review the posting:
Changes with the new rollout
Postby rannthal » 09 Nov 2016 11:43
There is a known issue with using the Mono Left or Mono Right settings for audio on the terradek. Using this setting causes the audio to become unusable. Using the Stereo setting on the terradek works fine. The Stereo setting is the default setting for audio on the terradek. We are working to correct this issue.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 81#p161681

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”