A plea for a dedicated streaming receiver

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
johnshaw

Re: A plea for a dedicated streaming receiver

Post by johnshaw »

randysteck wrote: We use an HDMI over Coax unit (discussed in other threads) to get the HD video and audio to these other rooms. The key is that we use the audio from the webcast stream, not from the building sound system for these rooms and the delay of 400msec is not noticeable. Of course, the delay through the streaming servers is longer but we don't use that in the originating building, just the remote buildings. In other words, no receive box is required in the originating building.
I'd love to do this but so far our Stake Presidency, through our High Councilor over Facilities (who is the real STS in our stake, which is a great frustration in my mind) has so far NOT chosen to spend the money to do this. I've put together multiple suggestions, and I believe that given the opportunity to actually speak to the Stake Presidency it wouldn't be that hard to justify the expense, but so far, I'm not someone they care to hear from, nor do they care to read anything I send them, I've attempted multiple angles to get information into their hands, but they have chosen not to care about it.
johnshaw wrote:There is NO control of the type of equipment we use. It is varried between MAC's and PC's some use firefox, edge, and Chrome, some safarri, one person might not know how to separate the audio from the video when using HDMI so their audio goes to the projector and then to the sound system. Some people will plug their audio into the overhead sound system by using an EJ-8 while others will be going out to a TV, others choose to use a Projector.
randysteck wrote:Why don't you have control of the remote building equipment? We send to three other buildings and simply got the same receive box paid for by the stake for all three buildings. Seems that this is something that is actually under your control
See the above answer on why we use volunteers computers. IF I felt that it was my responsiblity to 'lead' the webcast things would be extremely different, if we had a team called and set apart it would be different, I've made the decision to just ride out what my leaders want to do. They can choose to engage me or they can choose to continue as we have been doing.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
bretep

Post by bretep »

My solution streams 4k video, auto boots to full screen mode, all my remote support people don't need to worry about setup. It's been a life saver.

I built the software so I can remote control each device, update the agenda remotely, etc... The software is just a website and works with any device, so if a person needs to use their own computer, laptop, phone, tablet, they can do that.

Specifications:
ODROID-N2 with 4GByte RAM $70.00
ODROID-N2 Case Black $ 4.00
High Speed 4K HDMI 2.0 Cable $ 2.70
32GB eMMC Module N2 $26.90
iPazzPort Wireless Mini Handheld Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse: $13.00
12V 2A Power Supply AC Adapter 2amp $4.99

Grand total for each receiver: $121.59

Photos

Here is the device I built and use for each receiver.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6hRupXPfemUV4kiE7
IMG_6452.png
Closeup
(19.09 MiB) Not downloaded yet
It boots up to the following:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SkCvbt56qwdSHbk38
IMG_6431.png
Booted
(12.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
High resolution screen shot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h7eb8g8J435BrNVS9
screencapture-app-bretep-me-2019-08-08-22_15_44.png
Screenshot
(93.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Here it is streaming:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4pVbnsSrzYaug2Vb9
IMG_6439.png
Streaming
(17.46 MiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I understand that the church has something just starting beta. We'll hear more about it soon.

Given that they've recently made it much simpler to setup the VidiU webcast, I'm hopeful they'll make the receiver automatic as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
miken2av

Post by miken2av »

I got an email about this new streaming receiver as well. Hoping for simplicity.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Just use YouTube. You'll be able to use darn near anything.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Hagothsen wrote:Just use YouTube. You'll be able to use darn near anything.
Nope, same problem, 'darn near anything' is the actual issue we're trying to solve.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnv

Post by johnv »

I do agree with the OP about how nice it would be to have a standard 'supported' streaming box to greatly simplify the receiving sites reliability and experience. Church HQ already puts out a standard encoder for the broadcast site (which has been a VAST improvement), so why not complete the loop and provide a receive stream box as well? It is currently stressful enough for an STS to pull off a great broadcast with little to no interruptions with less than reliable Internet connections. I know that each Stake is different with their Internet connections, individuals helping, etc. but we have been very successful and fortunate broadcasting to 2 remote sites without too many glitches. We have 2 dedicated laptops with all notifications, scanning, and updates disabled (this is imperative to spend some time going over all the privacy settings and disabling all unnecessary items in Win 10 like the Microsoft store, Cortana, xbox, etc). All bloatware is removed, and they are used for one thing and that's broadcast receives. And it works very well. We use i7's with 8Gigs and HDMI and VGA out. The cost for these new was around $500 each which is very reasonable considering the value of everyone's time to come out on a Sunday to a meetinghouse to view Stake Conference. I believe that if you have update issues, virus scanning issues, etc, than you probably just need to grab a couple 16 yr olds to help you bulletproof the laptop better ...that is at least until the church provides a receive box :)

We have not had ANY issues with the encoding to the church media servers in the last 3 years, and since then, each of the remote broadcasts have only gotten better since we got the dedicated laptops (no one else uses or tampers with between Stake Conferences), and if you keep them that way, there's no reason they shouldn't perform the same each and every time.

Good luck with your broadcasts!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since this thread started, the church has started a beta program for a receiver. At least a couple of us are in the program. We're waiting for for them to arrive and put them though their paces.

The program is by invite to the STS. I don't know as there's a way to volunteer to join.
johnv wrote:each of the remote broadcasts have only gotten better since we got the dedicated laptops (no one else uses or tampers with between Stake Conferences), and if you keep them that way, there's no reason they shouldn't perform the same each and every time.
Just as long as they don't try to update themselves during the broadcast. :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Since this thread started, the church has started a beta program for a receiver. At least a couple of us are in the program. We're waiting for for them to arrive and put them though their paces.

The program is by invite to the STS. I don't know as there's a way to volunteer to join.
A couple of months ago, we in Europe were also given the same invitation to test a receiver Unfortunately I wasn't offered a place on the program. :(
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:Since this thread started, the church has started a beta program for a receiver. At least a couple of us are in the program. We're waiting for for them to arrive and put them though their paces.
Just got mine. It's a commercial AndroidTV device. I haven't seen instruction or fired it up to see how intuitive or if it has anything already programmed.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”