New HTML5 player listed as the primary player for receive site in the portal

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

New HTML5 player listed as the primary player for receive site in the portal

Post by rannthal »

The new HTML5 player is now listed as the primary player for receive sites. This player is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, and IE. (Note: For the player to run properly in Firefox and IE, Adobe Flash is needed to be installed on the receive site laptop.)
The new player will also work with IPhones and IPads.

There are known issues with Edge, Safari on a Mac, and Android devices. We are working to resolve those issues.

The silverlight player is still available for use. It is listed as the secondary player.

If there are any questions about these players, please let me know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New HTML5 player listed as the primary player for receive site in the portal

Post by russellhltn »

What is the prospect of using a low-cost player, like a Android setup box? Or, for the more technically inclined, a Raspberry Pi? It would be nice to not to to have to rely on member-supplied hardware. It certainly seems like there's some capable hardware around the $100 mark.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Re: New HTML5 player listed as the primary player for receive site in the portal

Post by harddrive »

Why not use the clerk's computer to receive the broadcast. That is what I'm doing in my stake. I ran cat5e cable from the clerk's office to the satellite cabinet. We will eventually put in the distribution hub/amplifier that is available from the church and then have it sent through the TV system in the building.

We will install one amplifier this weekend before our next stake conference. Once we have that site up and running and set up exactly the way we want the other buildings to run, we will then duplicate it at all other buildings.

I look forward to testing the new HTML5 player.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Basically any device that can use a supported browser would technically work for playing the stream. Granted if its not a laptop, then the GSC won't be able to support you much and stats won't be available, but if it works, then it works.

You are very welcome to try different things. I know my stake was looking at trying some other options also like the XBox, Roku, Chromecast, Raspberry Pi, etc. I don't have any results on if any of this was tested, but if you are inclined, feel free to do so.

Also about the HTML5 player, it does work well with a lower cored/powered laptop. This should help with the dilemma of having/finding a higher 4 to 8+ cored laptop.

One other note, if the internet does drop and the connection is completely severed. The player will have to be started again manually be refreshing the browser. If the connection is available, it will connect back up.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Just as a reminder, if the new player is going to be used with the Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers, please check to be sure that the latest Shockwave Flash plugin is installed, updated and enabled. If Flash has not been updated, problems playing the stream may occur. If the plugin has been disabled or is not installed, the player will not be able to pickup the stream.

Shockwave Flash is a free plugin and can be found here: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=KLXMF

Chrome does not require the Flash plugin to use the browser.
randysteck

Post by randysteck »

We tried with Raspberry PI 2 with the Openelec load and found that we could not connect to the portal as there is no RTMP outbound connection from the server. The browser required in the middle seriously limits the use of this other hardware.

But, I'm glad to see more discussion on the topic and hopefully can support RTMP streams at some point (even with skinnier stats) in addition to browser-based systems.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Edge is now working for receive sites.
jviola

Post by jviola »

Did anyone figure out how to use a raspberry pi as the receiving device for stake broadcast?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”