Old Webcaster solution go-dead date?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
azpcox

Old Webcaster solution go-dead date?

Post by azpcox »

Does anyone know when the old web casting solution will be turned off for good? I know the church's effort is focused on the new system, but until we get complete hdmi infrastructure I may need to use the old system.

Thanks!
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Old Webcaster solution go-dead date?

Post by rannthal »

There isn't a definite date when the old system will be turned off. There was talk about summer this year, but that could be put off pending on what is going on. So the answer is that it is unknown.

If you have any questions about trying to set the new system up with existing meetinghouse infrastructure, please let me know and I'll let you know what we and others have done.
kaaloa

Post by kaaloa »

I would like some info on what others have done to convert current infrastructure to hd. I know that the church is pushing the vidiu, but that is an hd signal (even though it is downscaled for streaming to other buidings). The problem is our stake center is sd with rca jacks.

The other issue is HDMI. Reliably, an HDMI signal can only travel about 50 feet. Sometimes you can go further, but most times you get breakup. To make the signal travel farther, the HDMI signal will have to get converted to Sdi which can then travel about 300 ft. or so. Anything more than that will usually require fiber (many thousands of feet).

So, I like that we got a free vidiu, but some money to upgrade infrastructure to run HD from camera to projector/tv in multiple rooms would have been nice.

I am in the process of doing test at our stake center to see if the internal coax can transport an Sdi signal to our distribution block (in the back room completely opposite the chapel) and then back to the jack near the pulpit. If this works, then I can put an Sdi to HDMI converter and into our projector. That would be awesome.

My real hope is that the coax is good enough and that I only have to change out a few electronic boxes. Any advice would be great.

Moku
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

I would like some info on what others have done to convert current infrastructure to hd. I know that the church is pushing the vidiu, but that is an hd signal (even though it is downscaled for streaming to other buidings). The problem is our stake center is sd with rca jacks.
The simplest solution is to keep your existing infrastructure and use a video signal converter to take what you used with the old webcaster and convert it to HDMI to use as input to the VidiU. Here's a pointer to a page that describes this:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/video- ... s?lang=eng

That page points to another page that includes a list of recommended signal converters. I've been using the StarTech unit with acceptable results. It takes both the composite video and the audio signal as inputs and outputs an HDMI signal that contains both. I just use a short HDMI cable to connect the two devices (StarTech and VidiU) and it just works with all of my old cameras and other equipment.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

I've been using the StarTech unit as well. Just be sure to set the Mode switch on the side to "HD". Although the "PC" setting works with most televisions, it won't work with the VidiU.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”