First new webcast results

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: First new webcast results

Post by russellhltn »

rannthal wrote:I would suggest that if you are having slow or even disconnecting issues, call your FM and have them come out and take a look at your network system.
I'm not sure they'd be able to do anything. The capability varies by group, but as a rule, I don't think they have any real network people.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

If they don't have any network people, they should be able to find someone to check the system.
jeremywillden

Post by jeremywillden »

For our Stake Conference late last year, we used the Portal with pretty poor results. One building dropped out in the middle of the Stake President's talk and didn't recover until the closing Hymn. All the buildings had some trouble and/or dropouts. For our Stake Conference last month, we streamed to YouTube directly from the Teradek with excellent results. If it's a problem with the building network or the Meraki firewall, then it's a pretty widespread issue, at least within our Stake. I'll see if I can get the Portal to give results anywhere near what we've achieved with YouTube, but I'm not optimistic quite yet. I understand that the Portal has undergone a lot of upgrades and bug fixes recently, so hopefully that will help.
randysteck

Post by randysteck »

At risk of incurring the wrath of rannthal yet again, I feel I must restate what has become obvious to many of us.

We're fully with the statement by Microwaved and the use of broadcast software. The options are Wirecast, OBS, and vMix. We chose vMix but would also be perfectly happy with OBS. The setup is very simple and is made even easier through the use of IP cameras.

We're also with Microwaved on the alternate distribution using Youtube or (in our case) SundayStreams. We bypass the firewall, but did that even before switching from the portal system. Even bypassing the firewall did not eliminate portal issues. The fact that the portal requires a laptop on the receive end is a definite weak link.

PCs are not the right tools to receive video streams that need to remain stable for literally hours at a time. There are a myriad reasons for this and I think most everyone recognizes it. Problems that we tend to blame on the portal system are often issues of stream integrity between the laptop and portal distribution. (Yes, there are better solutions than Azure, but that's up to others to decide.)

We use Rokus on the receive end with SundayStreams as the distribution. We stream directly from vMix or OBS. What we've found is that we now have NO distribution issues, 1080P on the receive sites, excellent audio, and literally 10 minutes on the receive site to set up equipment.

This is not a slam on the work done by the technology group. After some long conversations with their management I've concluded that they are mostly prohibited from advancing for various reasons, mostly since they are not able to act on the recommendations of their technical staff. That is unfortunate but I'm sure will change in the course of time. In the meantime we're enjoying non-eventful webcasts with tons less stress as we've figured out how to simplify everything.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

You're funny. There are 2 problems which everyone is going to have to address according to their own conscious.

randysteck wrote:We bypass the firewall, but did that even before switching from the portal system.
This goes against handbook recommendations. But I guess you have the choice to do what you like.

2. This forum is for solutions and recommendations for those who use the webcast system. It doesn't help anyone to bash on the system. It only causes confusion and contention. You if you have something to say that helps using the webcast system or a question about using it, please state it here....otherwise take it elsewhere.
randysteck wrote: In the meantime we're enjoying non-eventful webcasts with tons less stress as we've figured out how to simplify everything.

Congratz. I'm glad you have found something that works for your stake. I would like to let you know also that most of the world has also using the webcast system. It is in the best state that it has ever been.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I was going to sit this one out, but it just keeps bugging me. The absurdity of thinking that a completely unique system outside the standard the church provides is better in any way just irks me to the nth degree. The completely custom system you have is unsupportable, doesn't sustain calling turnover and/or growth in your stake/wards splitting etc... it just reaks of superiority, but to each his own. A wise STS would counsel against doing something like this unless some kind of unique circumstance exists. I'd much rather put together a system that if I got hit by a bus today someone else could easily step in, from scratch, and be successful, your system isn't sustainable large-scale and blows up the support model from CHQ (ICS/FM). If every chose to do what you have done there is no economy of scale, there is no way to plan for the future. There isn't a forecast to provide a budget each year and growth predictions and usage scenario bucket lists.

But there is one thing I'd love just like you. I'd love to just have a streaming device at each location. The benefits are legion.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”