Can I split the output of the podium mic?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
kwillisjr

Post by kwillisjr »

Yes, the outputs are balanced. The model number is Ivie 1026 (not Live 26).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Figure 7 on Page 6 (Page 7 of the PDF) shows how the output of the Ivie should be connected. It does show that it's acceptable to ground the "-" line and leave the shield unconnected at the input.

User Manual.

However, it still might be wise to use a isolation transformer if there's a hum problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kwillisjr

Possible solution - or - what I'd like

Post by kwillisjr »

I'd like to use a line level mixer that utilizes a balanced input and gives an option for an unbalanced output. I'd also like it to have meters so that we can adjust sound levels 'on the fly' during a broadcast. I'd like it to be small with only one or two inputs. Inexpensive would be nice as well.

Is this reasonable? If so, can you recommend something?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kwillisjr wrote:If so, can you recommend something?

You might want to look at the audio portion of the Availability of Meetinghouse Webcast Products and Components page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

kwillisjr wrote:I'd like to use a line level mixer that utilizes a balanced input and gives an option for an unbalanced output. I'd also like it to have meters so that we can adjust sound levels 'on the fly' during a broadcast. I'd like it to be small with only one or two inputs. Inexpensive would be nice as well.

Is this reasonable? If so, can you recommend something?
======
Repeat of previous message.
We had a similar experience using the building sound feed of over driving the sound. We put a The ART TUBE MP STUDIO preamp. (eBay) Works great because we can control the volume feeding the webcasting SW by watching the vertical sound bar. We vary it by the speakers voice level. Simply took the mono building sound into a stereo to mono adapter and feed the stereo input in the capture card.

One input and output. Very small and simple.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
kwillisjr

And after more testing

Post by kwillisjr »

I discovered that the audio problems began after the webcast has been running for about 30 minutes. I shut down the webcast, adjusted the audio output level in the communicator setup menu, and re-started the webcast. This seems to have solved this issue for now.

I now have a hum issue I will be tracking down. I will be replacing the various connectors and adapters with a 1/8" connector soldered directly to the audio feed cable. Hopefully, this eliminates the hum. If not, I guess its troubleshooting time. Actually. Now that I think about it. I believe the hum level dropped quite a bit when I adjusted the audio level. I'll have to look into that again tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions. I'm not out of the woods quite yet, but definitely closer.
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

kwillisjr wrote:I don't think these mic wires are shielded but the do have drain wires that connect to ground.
All mic/line cable in our sound systems is shielded.
kwillisjr wrote:The other side of the splitter / combiner has an RCA to RF adapter which connects to a coax cable which connects to an RF to Mini (1/8") adapter which plugs into the communicator. I'm thinking that at very least all of this mess needs to be eliminated and a mini plug soldered directly to the mic cable.
This is actually not a bad way to get your audio. You're sharing the audio feed that goes to the local camera TV modulator. Sharing this feed should not be a problem.
kwillisjr wrote:I also think that re-attaching the drain wire might eliminate the hum mentioned earlier.
Doubt it. Sounds like you have a ground loop, and the simplest way to solve that will be a transformer isolator. Jensen transformers has a number of them that might work.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”