Elder's Quorum rolls

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
brentboylan-p40

Elder's Quorum rolls

Post by brentboylan-p40 »

When you print out the role for Elder's Quorum you get the Elders. Makes sense. If you have Prospective Elders assigned to the quorum they are on another page. Normally this is probably not a problem. However, our ward has all prospective elders assigned to the High Priest group and so no page is printed out for our Elders quorum role. Our EQ president likes to pass the role around for each to mark while the lesson is going on (I've been meaning to talk to him about it). The problem is when prospective elders are present and they don't see there name on the list. I just wonder what kind of message that sends to them.

Is there a way to have Elders and Prospective Elders to be combined on one list? I know they can be assigned to our quorum, but they would still be on a separate list. Just a thought.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Elders Roll

Post by aebrown »

brentboylan wrote:Is there a way to have Elders and Prospective Elders to be combined on one list? I know they can be assigned to our quorum, but they would still be on a separate list. Just a thought.

Adding specific prospective elders to the Elders Quorum organization is the correct thing to do if the HPGL and EQ President have determined that those men's needs will best be met by the Elders Quorum. In MLS, you go to the Elders organization, scroll down to the list of members, and Add Members. Choose the men to be added, and they will become members of the Elders organization (and automatically removed from the High Priests organization).

Once you have done this, the Elders Quorum roll will include them the newly added member on a single alphabetized list. I just tested this on the test database with MLS, and it only produced one list for the Elders Quorum, which is precisely what you asked for.
edwardlalone

Post by edwardlalone »

I just received a call to serve as an Assistant Secretary in the Elders' Quorum so I'm just learning how to use MLS but I do recall seeing a "Print Rolls" (including attendance roll) option that allowed me me to choose who appears on an attendance roll by high priest, elders, prospective elders, etc. I had to click on the box next to elder, prospective elder, etc but I was able to get anyone I wanted on one roll. I was only doing this to get familiar with the features available but I think you should try this since I believe this is what you want.

This is how you would do it if I recall correctly:

1) Go to the Reports Screen under Organizations;
2) Click on Print Rolls/Lists
3) Change List type from Standard to Attendance Roll

You should then be provided with a list of who you want on the roll. Add Elders and Prospective Elders by checking on their boxes and then preview the roll. I think this is the roll that you want. Please forgive me if I am wrong about this or about how to get to the option I am referring to. Alan's suggestion is probably more correct than mine since I'm new to this.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Problem still exists that any member with Priesthood Office, Priest, is automatically
assigned to High Priest Group (HPG). I then access Organizations, HPG and select
remove, but then re-assign to EQ.
On Fridays, I usually print a single list of of members Moved IN during last 2 months.
This output often is from 1 to 2 pages in length.
I then annotate with an asterisk, which members
were assigned to our ward by CHQ or by some other unit.
I also note which are recent baptisms, recently blessed and
who's newly become Head of House -- due to death of husband.
This annotated list is then photocoped 12 or 13 times and
distributed within Clerks' Office boxes.
Dates of birth are included. With these dates of birth,
EQ and HPG usually decide to divide Home Teaching
at 45 years of age and older going to HPG.
There are no dates of birth displayed with HT assignment page.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

H. Forth wrote:Problem still exists that any member with Priesthood Office, Priest, is automatically assigned to High Priest Group (HPG).

Why do you consider this a problem? By policy (letter dated 3 Nov 2004), all prospective elders are the responsibility of the High Priest Group. Once a Priest turns 19, if he is not married, and not explicitly assigned to the Elders Quorum, he is the responsibility of the HPG. So it seems to me that MLS is functioning properly and helpfully by putting people by default in the quorum with responsibility for them.

As you and others have mentioned, exceptions can be made to this policy, and MLS accomodates the manual moving of brethren to whatever quorum is desired. That seems like a good way to handle it, and would only be perceived as a problem if there were more exceptions than cases that followed the rule.
llvarney

Re: Elder's Quorum rolls

Post by llvarney »

The Young Single Adult wards do not have a HP group. We have a lot of prospective elders (and a lot of turnover) all of whom are responsible to the EQ. This becomes a hassle to keep all the perspective elders assigned to the EQ with over a third of our male population are perspective elders. Typically we receive 2 to 10 new members each week, with a lot more in September.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”