Assigning someone in MLS to an organization unexpected for his/her age or office

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ulupoi

Assigning someone in MLS to an organization unexpected for his/her age or office

Post by ulupoi »

In the quarterly report instructions given in the help menus and at this URL (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Quarterly_report), there are several instructions that direct us to categorize people as belonging to organizations into which their age or priesthood office would not normally place them. How do we change the organization to which people are assigned in MLS such that the automatically generated quarterly report totals are correct?

Here is one example. The Quarterly Report instructions read, in part:

The number of male members, age 12 through 18 without the Melchizedek Priesthood who are:
Not married
Under 19 years of age and their assigned organization is not elders quorum or high priests group
Or 19 years of age or older and their assigned organization is Young Men

How do you assign an 18 year old priest to the elders quorum? This could be useful in student and YSA wards. In these wards, there is no YM or YW program. The only priesthood quorum is the elders quorum and the only organization for women is the Relief Society. I can see why the church would want 17-18 year-old priests and 17-year old women to be assigned to the elders quorum and Relief Society in these wards, but how do you do that in MLS? If these special reassignments can't be made in MLS, the automatically generated and unmodifiable MLS quarterly report totals will not match the quarterly report instructions.

How would you assign to the YM's organization someone who is "19 years of age or older (whose) assigned organization is Young Men," as in the quoted instruction.

Could someone teach me how to make reassignments in MLS? Alternatively, if you know, definitively, that such reassignments cannot be made, could you let me know?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ulupoi wrote:How do we change the organization to which people are assigned in MLS such that the automatically generated quarterly report totals are correct?

Yes, MLS can change organizations for an individual. To change the organization for a person, the easiest way I have found is the following:
  1. Go to the organization they are a member of. For your example of an 18-year old priest, go to the Priests Quorum (Organizations > Young Men > Priests)
  2. Locate the person in the Members list for that organization.
  3. Click the Remove link to the right of the person.
  4. In the dialog box that pops up, select the new organization in the Destination section. For your example, choose the Elders Quorum.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Excellent! Thank you. We will try that out.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Do you know where I can find guidance for bishoprics on changing assignments? For example, if the bishop wants a 60 year old elder to meet with the high priests, should he have the clerk change his assignment in MLS? Should all 17 year-old women in student wards be assigned to the the Relief Society? Who is authorized to direct the clerk to make these changes. Is this in the CHI somewhere? I was not able to find it in Book 2.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ulupoi wrote:Do you know where I can find guidance for bishoprics on changing assignments? For example, if the bishop wants a 60 year old elder to meet with the high priests, should he have the clerk change his assignment in MLS? Should all 17 year-old women in student wards be assigned to the the Relief Society? Who is authorized to direct the clerk to make these changes. Is this in the CHI somewhere? I was not able to find it in Book 2.
I don't know that there is one definitive answer providing guidance, but whenever the Handbook talks about unusual situations (pregnant young women, older prospective elders, etc.), it always says that the bishop decides based on what is best for the person involved. For example, Handbook 2, section 7.8.1 says: "The bishop may authorize an elder to meet with the high priests group if such an arrangement will be beneficial for the elder. The bishop may also invite an 18-year-old Aaronic Priesthood holder to meet with the elders quorum."

The Handbook tends not to deal with administrative details such as your question about who directs the clerk to make MLS changes. But it seems clear to me that the bishop makes the decisions regarding quorum and class membership. It follows that MLS should reflect the reality of who is assigned to which class or quorum, so that rolls and reports (including the quarterly report you mentioned at the beginning of the thread) are accurate. So the bishop certainly has the authority to direct the clerk to make MLS changes such as those we've been discussing in this thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Thank you so much, Brother Brown, this of great help to us.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ulupoi wrote:Should all 17 year-old women in student wards be assigned to the the Relief Society?
Yes, since the only organizations in a YSA ward are elders quorum and relief society. Not doing so means they won't show up on the roster and the presidencies may very well overlook them if this is not done. Seen it happen here at least.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

And what the bishop doesn't know he should take to his leader, the stake president, and what he doesn't know, etc., etc, etc., It's a beautiful system!
mightymortyman

Re: Assigning someone in MLS to an organization unexpected for his/her age or office

Post by mightymortyman »

Is there a way still to do this in MLS 3.8.1 or from the website? We seem to have a problem with YM/YW who are 18 and not yet graduated from high school being automatically assigned to the RS or Elders Quorum when it would be more appropriate for them to stay in YM/YW.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Assigning someone in MLS to an organization unexpected for his/her age or office

Post by jdlessley »

mightymortyman wrote:Is there a way still to do this in MLS 3.8.1 or from the website? We seem to have a problem with YM/YW who are 18 and not yet graduated from high school being automatically assigned to the RS or Elders Quorum when it would be more appropriate for them to stay in YM/YW.
There is no way to prevent the automatic reassignment currently. After the reassignment you can manually remove them from the RS/EQ and move them back to the YW class / YM quorum. Making class/quorum assignment changes is no longer possible in MLS. It must be done in LCR.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”