People serving in ward whose records are in another ward

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwtaber wrote:I would assume the classic one is the one the branch president is wrestling with. I've seen glimpses of the newer one but don't know much about it.
If it's the classic Stake and Ward Website we're talking about, then the stake website administrator has to add the branch president as a Non-Resident Member (see Adding nonresident members to the Web site on the wiki).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jwtaber wrote:I would assume the classic one is the one the branch president is wrestling with.

OK, for that you have to find the website admin and tell him/her to "do it". All callings in the classic site are entered manually. But he does have to be a part of the ward before they can select his name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:OK, for that you have to find the website admin and tell him/her to "do it". All callings in the classic site are entered manually. But he does have to be a part of the ward before they can select his name.
And for the classic Stake and Ward Website, being "a part of the ward" means that they are first added as a non-resident member by the stake website administrator. Then the branch website administrator can add them to the leadership directory (the stake website administrator is almost certainly an administrator for the branch site, so he could probably do this step, too).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crsimps

Re: People serving in ward whose records are in another ward

Post by crsimps »

My situation is that the two wards meeting in our building have combined all youth programs. As secretary of the Young Women's organization I need to provide reports, lists, etc. that include young women from both wards. Does my ward clerk need to create "out of unit records" for all of the young women from the Young Women's program combined with my ward in order for me to have complete information? Is there a way to download .csv files that I can manipulate in Excel to combine the lists?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crsimps wrote:As secretary of the Young Women's organization I need to provide reports, lists, etc. that include young women from both wards.
Each ward is responsible for reporting the attendance and activities of their Young Women for that ward. If you are the one reporting everything for both wards, then you have, in effect, two callings: one as the YW secretary in your ward, and another as an out-of-unit YW secretary in the other ward.

If that is the case, I would have the ward clerk of the other ward enter you as an out-of-unit member and then give you the YW secretary calling. That will allow you access to both sets of YW records, and you will be able to provide reports to the YW president of each ward.

Oh, wait. If that is the same sister, have the other ward do the same for her. Then she can report her efforts to each bishop for the Young Women who live in each ward. Same for the counselors, if they serve both wards. As out-of-unit members with callings entered, they will be able to see the Young Women of both wards, as well.

You can't move the youth membership records, because that requires First Presidency approval. You can't report all of the YW in one ward or the other, because the report is based on where the actual YW membership record resides. For the quarterly report, you will have to maintain the information for each ward separately.

The Church has done away with the ability to export membership information using csv files or other similar methods. You will need to keep two sets of reports, lists, etc., anyway, in order to report the activities of the YW properly for each ward.

Are you attending both wards on Sunday? That attendance is what gets provided for the quarterly report.
ryanmck

Post by ryanmck »

I'm in the same situation. We have combined the youth programs of our spanish 7th ward with the english 4th ward we share the building with.

I was trying to do out of unit memberships for 5 guys in the fourth ward.

I assigned myself assistant ward membership clerk in the fourth ward with out-of-unit-member privileges.

I opened 2 windows of outlook explorer and opened one to our 7th unit, and the other to the 4th unit. If I toggle back and fourth, the system blogs down because my unit designation is stored in the computer's cache.

So, I opened one window in outlook, and one in chrome. For some reason, I could not cut and paste text from chrome.

I opened up my samsung tablet, and logged onto lds.org, but got many popup blocks that said something wrong with lds.org security certificate.
This happened multiple times.

Eventually, I got the work done, but I am concerned about LDS security, and it would be nice if the IT people in salt lake made this type of application work seamlessly, so that I could out-of-unit member people in our sister ward with a click of a button. Having to cut and paste, or in this case, type, then cut and paste, makes for a long night.

We need more IT support for the combined ward structure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ryanmck wrote:We need more IT support for the combined ward structure.
Just for fun I went to see if there's any support for combined youth programs in the Handbook. The closest I got was Handbook 2: 17.2.3. "Because youth often benefit from socializing in larger groups, the young men and young women in two or more small wards or branches may meet occasionally for combined activities. If neighboring wards and branches have few young men or young women, the bishops and branch presidents may authorize the youth to meet together for weekly activities."

That's not quite the same as combining the groups from different units. The reason I make this an issue is that you're not going to get support for things that are not in the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Just for fun I went to see if there's any support for combined youth programs in the Handbook.
ryanmck is talking about an overlapping meeting schedule for units with different languages. A stake president can authorize this within his stake. See the unnumbered section immediately following Handbook 2:18.6 for details.

In this situation, the two units still exist separately, but meet together for some meetings. Leaders of both units need to be able to serve the members, especially the youth and children, and the need for out-of-unit functions in the technology is great.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:See the unnumbered section immediately following Handbook 2:18.6 for details.
I'd use the feedback function in LCR and cite the Handbook reference in explaining the need.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I can't think of any better process, without making things more convoluted, than the way it's currently done in Leader and Clerk Resources. The clerk of each ward makes out-of-unit membership records for each presidency member who's not in his ward, then fills in the presidency callings.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”