Printing works but not from MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IIRC, MLS tends to remember the last printer used for a particular operation - it does not default to the Windows "default". So someone could have tried something different and caused the default for checks to be messed up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

shrtxus wrote:I have attempted every single suggestion listed above except for the print.properties fix, as this file does not appear to exist anywhere within the MLS group of folders.

I don't know what operating system you are using, but please note that for Windows 7, the print.properties file is located under ProgramData, which is a hidden folder by default. So you might need to show hidden files and folders in order to see it. That is done in Windows Explorer by going to Organize > Folder and Search Options, then selecting the View tab, and selecting "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

For Windows XP, it's more straightforward to find print.properties under C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS.

However, it does seem strange that you can print other items from MLS such as membership records; in my experience the printing problems that are fixed by editing print.properties affect all printing in MLS (except, perhaps, for printing Financial Statements, since that uses a different printing mechanism).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I don't know what operating system you are using, but please note that for Windows 7, the print.properties file is located under ProgramData, which is a hidden folder by default.
The quickest and easiest way to get there is open the Windows browser (Win-E), and in the "URL" type C:\ProgramData. That way you don't expose the other hidden folders to anyone else using the Clerk login.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote: type C:\ProgramFiles

Good suggestion, but for Windows 7 it's ProgramData (not ProgramFiles).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Good suggestion, but for Windows 7 it's ProgramData (not ProgramFiles).

Noted and corrected.

pacholoreq

Re: Printing works but not from MLS

Post by pacholoreq »

when ever i try to print from mls NO PRINTER SERVICE pops up.. can u help me with this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pacholoreq wrote:when ever i try to print from mls NO PRINTER SERVICE pops up.. can u help me with this?
If you're getting far enough to be able to select a printer, make sure the right printer is selected. MLS tends to go with the last printer used, NOT the default printer. So, you need to pay attention to what it suggests and not just go with the default.

If that's not it, then I'd suggest downloading MLS and re-installing it on top of itself. While MLS does install patches, that doesn't always update everything. The reinstall updates everything.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The Windows printing service sometimes stops for various reasons. Sometimes you can fix it by manually restarting the service, but I just prefer to reboot.

If you still can't print from MLS after a reboot, try printing a Windows test page to the printer. If that fails, a troubleshooter process may help you find the problem.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”