Spouse shows as 'Other" on Household Members screen

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kh_design

Spouse shows as 'Other" on Household Members screen

Post by kh_design »

Our local unit's MLS has a single case where the spouses show as 'Other' on Household Members screen on a single correlated spouses' membership record. The spouses correctly show on the spouse screen, it is just on the Household Members screen they show as 'Other' and not as 'Spouse'. This is just one single instance on this one family with these two correlated spouses.

A special request has been sent a few times with no results.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:Our local unit's MLS has a single case where the spouses show as 'Other' on Household Members screen on a single correlated spouses' membership record. The spouses correctly show on the spouse screen, it is just on the Household Members screen they show as 'Other' and not as 'Spouse'. This is just one single instance on this one family with these two correlated spouses.

A special request has been sent a few times with no results.
A couple of questions:
  1. You keep saying "spouse," which isn't exactly clear to me. It would be much more straightforward if you would use the term "husband" or "wife", except where you are referring to actual text on screens of MLS. It sounds like you are saying that more than one wife is appearing on the Household screen (but listed as "Other"), since you use the terms "spouses" and "they", yet that can't be right (polygamy having been outlawed over a century ago).
  2. What do you mean by "single correlated spouse"?
  3. Is the husband a member or nonmember? If the husband is a nonmember, have you followed the steps listed in the wiki under Nonmember spouse? That is a common scenario where a wife will show up in the household as "Other" rather than "Spouse"
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kh_design

Spouses (husband and wife)

Post by kh_design »

Both spouses (husband and wife) are members.

The instance is a single instance with correlated spouses, the wife is the wife to the husband and the husband is the husband to the wife. Both the correlated spouses, on the wife's Household Members screen the husband shows as 'Other' not as 'Spouse' and the same on the husband's Household Members screen the wife shows as 'Other' not as 'Spouse'. Though on the spouse screen they are both listed correctly as each other's spouse, the husband is the husband to the wife and the wife is the wife to the husband, with their correct names, membership numbers, birth dates, marriage date, and marriage place. So why are they showing as 'Other' and not as 'Spouse' on their respective Household Members screen?

This is just one single instance, all other families show correctly as 'Spouse' to their respective Husband or Wife.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:Both spouses (husband and wife) are members.

The instance is a single instance with correlated spouses, the wife is the wife to the husband and the husband is the husband to the wife. Both the correlated spouses, on the wife's Household Members screen the husband shows as 'Other' not as 'Spouse' and the same on the husband's Household Members screen the wife shows as 'Other' not as 'Spouse'. Though on the spouse screen they are both listed correctly as each other's spouse, the husband is the husband to the wife and the wife is the wife to the husband, with their correct names, membership numbers, birth dates, marriage date, and marriage place. So why are they showing as 'Other' and not as 'Spouse' on their respective Household Members screen?

This is just one single instance, all other families show correctly as 'Spouse' to their respective Husband or Wife.
I'm not sure why this is happening, but this is definitely an issue of household position. It has nothing to do with the spouse information on the respective individual records. A person can have a spouse who doesn't even live in the same ward, and a household can contain people who aren't spouses or even related at all. So those are two different concepts. In your case, you need to focus on the household.

One thing you might try, which worked for me on the MLS test data:
  1. Remove the wife from the household (on the "Household Members" tab for the household record, click the Remove link to the right of the wife's name).
  2. When prompted, just use the default "Make a new household"; then Close and Save the new household.
  3. Then back on the husband's household, in the Household Members section, click the blue "Add Member" link (on the right)
  4. Navigate to the wife's name, select it, and click OK.
  5. Close and Save
In my testing, MLS recognized that this was a spouse (I assume because her membership record number matches the MRN recorded for his spouse on his individual record), and added her back into the household as "Spouse".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kh_design

Remove

Post by kh_design »

Alan_Brown wrote:
  1. Remove the wife from the household (on the "Household Members" tab for the household record, click the Remove link to the right of the wife's name).
Remove is no more on MLS 3.1.5
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:Remove is no more on MLS 3.1.5
I'm not sure why you think the "Remove" option is gone, but it's definitely still there on MLS 3.1.5, at least on the test data. See this screen shot:
household.jpg
household.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
kh_design

I love swapping screen shots

Post by kh_design »

I love swapping screen shots. See my screen shot, this is the actual unit's MLS (sensitive information masked).

MLS 3.1.5_17168 February 02,2010 16:18

My user has all Rights.
HMscreen01masked.jpg
(79.82 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
I know this is not the first time the test MLS has had a discrepancy from the actual used MLS. Years ago, when I was a Stake Finance Clerk, just implementing MLS in the local units I had the test MLS and data on my computer so I could answer and train the local unit clerks the MLS tool at any time. Often I would find discrepancies from the MLS test and the local unit's actual MLS. Funny as I look back and as the local unit's Clerks would ask me how to do something in MLS, often I would have to train myself first on the fly within seconds and then train them, and then I would think to myself, "I just figured this out on my own, how come they could not".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Dumb question - MLS is logged into a Ward/Branch and not into a Stake database, correct?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:I know this is not the first time the test MLS has had a discrepancy from the actual used MLS.
But you're not showing the same screen shot. You are showing the "Household Members" section of an Individual Record (see the heading to the tab is "Member Record"). But I was showing the "Household Members" section of a Household Record (see the heading to the tab is "Household Record").

If you look at the same screen, I think you'll find that the Remove option is still there.

Here is the equivalent screen shot to yours from the test database. It doesn't have a Remove link, either:
Individual.jpg
Individual.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
kh_design

Yes

Post by kh_design »

Yes

This is why I participate in tech.lds.org, the illusive remove has been found and the issue resolved. I cannot wait to show Household Record to the Membership Clerk, not sure he knows it is there, another great tool in the box. Thank you.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”