MLS Leader and Unit Change Request Problem

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
MorettiDP

MLS Leader and Unit Change Request Problem

Post by MorettiDP »

In MLS 3.1.4, I can't change any information about Stake Patriarchs because the button to select the stake member aren't available like in the other Church callings.

Too, we can't change meetinghouse address for stake, meetinghouse language, members language, meetinghouse phones, building number, stake currency, stake creation date or any other information in the unit tab. All informations are locked. It's a problem?

Another thing: We needed to format stake computer and we lost all data. Our CDOL data are correct since it came from our old MLS data (with two or three callings need to be changed only), but these correct data don't came to our MLS with a send/receive. Can MLS receive data from CDOL or only CDOL can request data from MLS? Will I need to re-enter all callings data in MLS?

Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

MorettiDP wrote:In MLS 3.1.4, I can't change any information about Stake Patriarchs because the button to select the stake member aren't available like in the other Church callings.
This information is normally changed when the stake president reports the setting apart of a patriarch.
MorettiDP wrote:Too, we can't change meetinghouse address for stake, meetinghouse language, members language, meetinghouse phones, building number, stake currency, stake creation date or any other information in the unit tab. All informations are locked. It's a problem?
This is normal. The Facilities Management group or the Area Office will update this information if you let them know it needs to be changed. (Actually, you can change the address in MLS, but I do not think it goes anywhere. The help desk told me just to leave it blank.)
MorettiDP wrote: Another thing: We needed to format stake computer and we lost all data. . . .

Can MLS receive data from CDOL . . .
No, you will have to re-enter the data. However, do you not have a recent backup on a diskette or flash drive? After you reload MLS, you can restore your most recent backup and move forward from there, rather than starting all over.

And, your area office should also have a backup that is less than four or five weeks old. Check with them if you really do not have a local backup to use.
MorettiDP wrote:Thanks!
You are welcome. Sorry for your loss.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

But, since version 3.0.X, when Leader and Unit Change Request are available in MLS, we can change patriarchs informations like other stake high-callings officials (presidency and clerks) - using that way.

Now, in 3.1.4 it don't go...

Well, but here in Brazil, in some stakes, we can't save backups in diskettes or pen-drives (for exemple) because we can't purchase these materials with local budget and we don't receive these materials from area management, like ICS or MSR. In wards lost data are rare, because wards and branches aren't alowed to have internet in the computer (with only connection to the Afaria interface at MLS) and, because it, problems outside MLS, at Windows, are rare, but in stakes we have broadband, and this gets problems like virus and other malware. That's my problem. Our stake computer is connected at a S&I (CES) connection in CCN. Since a network virus (the "terrible" Conficker) stay in the network, our stake computer are infected too. I don't have a backup outside the computer (we only save backups in the MLS backup folder), and because it we lost all the data. I know it sounds little stupid, but is our reality by now...
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

MorettiDP wrote:Well, but here in Brazil, in some stakes, we can't save backups in diskettes or pen-drives (for exemple) because we can't purchase these materials with local budget
I haven't heard that before. It's church policy to back up both on the computer AND on external media like a diskette or flash drive. Anyone telling you otherwise is wrong. That is definitely an approved expense from your budget for the exact reason you are now discovering - if your hard drive goes, you have no backup to restore from.

If you use Desktop 5.5, you should be able to restore instead of formatting. However, I'll let your regional office tell you how to handle fixing your hard drive.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: No, you will have to re-enter the data. However, do you not have a recent backup on a diskette or flash drive? After you reload MLS, you can restore your most recent backup and move forward from there, rather than starting all over.
I think that the request refresh in MLS will send a request not only for the membership info but also to CDOL for the calling info.

I do know that support staff have a way to trigger a refresh of all the data from CDOL to be sent down to MLS. If you want to PM me your unit number I can send that down to you. I will wait until after this last weekend's processing is caught up (see this thread for the issues)
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

crislapi wrote:I haven't heard that before. It's church policy to back up both on the computer AND on external media like a diskette or flash drive. Anyone telling you otherwise is wrong. That is definitely an approved expense from your budget for the exact reason you are now discovering - if your hard drive goes, you have no backup to restore from.

If you use Desktop 5.5, you should be able to restore instead of formatting. However, I'll let your regional office tell you how to handle fixing your hard drive.

Yes, I know it, but we can't pay for a pendrive or diskettes with Church budget like as a stationary order, paper order or pencils order, for exemple. We have only one way (I discovered today): request to FM Group. Since our FM Groups don't work well to our meetinghouses management, I can't wait receive these materials from that office (I hope our FM Manager don't read this forum :D ).

And no, in Brazil, we don't use Desktop 5.5. Our systems are only simple Windows XP Dell made desktops with Sophos, MLS, PDF reader, Java, Scriptures and Print softwares installed.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

ryan jones wrote:I think that the request refresh in MLS will send a request not only for the membership info but also to CDOL for the calling info.

I do know that support staff have a way to trigger a refresh of all the data from CDOL to be sent down to MLS. If you want to PM me your unit number I can send that down to you. I will wait until after this last weekend's processing is caught up (see this thread for the issues)

I'm happy with your help, ryan jones!!! I receive a refresh from Brazil Area MSR office but this database only have membership and financial data. All the callings data don't get back to MLS.

I will send our unit number by PM.

And, if you can reply me: I have in my memory a certain that patriarchs (1 and 2) fields at MLS are too available to manage from Leader and Unit Change Request Module, but, as you can see, the button to add the member to the fields aren't available. Is this a new way to do with patriarchs or is a problem at our current MLS release?

Thanks to all you!!!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”