Class assignments for the new year

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
slh531977-p40

Class assignments for the new year

Post by slh531977-p40 »

So our ward has tons of primary kids, so we have 3 sunbeam classes, 3 CTR 5 and ect. The primary has given me a list of what kids they want in each class. My hope was to get these set up before the new year. However when i tried to do this last night, I of course couldn't assign them to the correct class because they don't meet the class rules yet. Is there anyway to do this without waiting until Jan 1 to do it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:So our ward has tons of primary kids, so we have 3 sunbeam classes, 3 CTR 5 and ect. The primary has given me a list of what kids they want in each class. My hope was to get these set up before the new year. However when i tried to do this last night, I of course couldn't assign them to the correct class because they don't meet the class rules yet. Is there anyway to do this without waiting until Jan 1 to do it?
You could move them manually now, but there's no point in doing that, because come January 1, they will all be moved automatically into the class that matches their age, undoing all your work.

It sounds like a big job with that large Primary, but I don't see any way around waiting until January 1. At least you have a couple of days to prepare. Next year you'll have only one day, and as 2012 rolls around, January 1 falls on a Sunday. That will be quite the challenge!
Disco-p40

I have the same issue...

Post by Disco-p40 »

Good to hear that I shouldn't waste any more time trying to figure out a way around waiting until the 1st. Primary Secretary won't be happy:(, but I guess she'll live.;)
bgibson27-p40

Membership Clerk

Post by bgibson27-p40 »

MLS did not automatically reset our Primary/Youth Sunday School Class rolls for 2010. I have sent a notice via MLS from the MLS message box.

Did anyone else have the same problem? If so, how did you solve it?
PNMarkW2

Post by PNMarkW2 »

My Primary classes look fine, but MLS did NOT update my youth Sunday School. Our Primary President has not given me the custom assignments for their classes, so they are still the standard MLS assignments. But Sunday School are custom class assignments and they did not update at all. Fortunately because of the number of youth it only took me about 5 minutes to update them manually.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
techgy
Community Moderators

New Members In Every Class

Post by techgy »

We have a new wrinkle. Let's put every new member into every SS class!

Early this morning I received an Email from an individual who informed me;
Every member that was transferred into the ward due to boundary changes was added to every SS class. For example, a 4 year old transferred in now shows up in Gospel Doctrine, Gospel Essentials, Family Relations, etc. All classes now have over 171 enrolled.
Will a reset clear this? Has anyone experienced this one?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Their rules are messed up. When a new member is moved into the ward, the system adds them to all SS classes where the rules are met. Fix the rules and the problem will go away.

Yes, resetting the SS class rules will fix it, but IIRC, it will also move all the members, so you'd have to manually put all the exceptions back.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

My hero! Thanks for the tip.:D
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Their rules are messed up. When a new member is moved into the ward, the system adds them to all SS classes where the rules are met. Fix the rules and the problem will go away.
That's probably correct, but note that you can't simply "fix the rules" -- there is no way to change the rules for an existing class. However, a technique for accomplishing this result is documented in the wiki under 3.1.2 Changing class rules.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:That's probably correct, but note that you can't simply "fix the rules" -- there is no way to change the rules for an existing class. However, a technique for accomplishing this result is documented in the wiki under 3.1.2 Changing class rules.
We discovered that this morning. The classes were affected only had less than a dozen people in them so we just deleted the classes and re-created them. I did notice the wiki so if this happens again, we'll know where to look.

The classes that had the problem were 3 or 4 that were considered "non standard". A suggestion for this problem would be to permit adjustments to the class rules for these "non official" classes. That would have permitted us to fix the problem. All the standard SS classes were correct.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”