Override Annotation restriction?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jgoggan

Override Annotation restriction?

Post by jgoggan »

Hi all!

It appears that, fairly recently, some new callings were added to MLS under Family History: "Ward Temple and Family History Consultant--Indexing" and "Ward Temple and Family History Consultant--Lead" (note that "Indexing Worker" also exists).

We recently tried to add one of these callings to a member who has an annotation on their record. It appears that these new callings have been marked to not allow anyone with an annotation to be assigned to it. We tried the following:

1. I, as an Asst Ward Clerk, tried to add it. It gave an error that just said "The bishop must record this calling."

2. Our Ward Clerk tried to add it. It gave the same error but with an additional note that it was because of the annotation.

3. Our Bishop tried to add it himself. It gave him an error that the member couldn't be assigned to the calling because of the annotation on his record. So, even the Bishop couldn't do it.

I've check and it appears this can't be over-ridden at the Stake level either. Any ideas on what needs to be done to make it happen?

It seems an odd calling to disallow due to an annotation. (Note that I get the same error just trying to add him as only an "Indexing Worker.") From a public standpoint, the Church encourages ANYONE to be an Indexing Worker without requiring any information about them -- it's one of those things that non-members are commonly doing. Therefore, not being able to add a member to that calling due to an annotation seems more of an error than anything else. I wonder if the new callings were added to the system and incorrectly marked in some way? (I.e. I get that youth callings would not be able to be assigned to people with annotated records, but it should allow something like this, I would think.)

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Override Annotation restriction?

Post by russellhltn »

jgoggan wrote:Any thoughts or ideas?
Generally, annotations are there for the safety of other members. It indicates the interaction of that member with others needs to be monitored for everyone's safety.

People who do only indexing do not need to be called. They can just do it. For example, a non-member do not need to be called to do indexing. Typically those who hold a calling under the category of "Ward Temple and Family History Consultant" are expected to train others. Usually in a private setting such as their home. But then we come back to the concerns that lead to the annotation. (At least in the general case. I have no idea if it applies in this case.)

I suspect that's why the bishop can't record that calling. At least that would be my guess.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregphillips

Re: Override Annotation restriction?

Post by gregphillips »

"Ward Temple and Family History Consultant--Indexing" and "Ward Temple and Family History Consultant--Lead" are callings that involve working on occasion with the youth. I suspect that is the reason.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”