Missing Donation Information

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bevanbowles

Missing Donation Information

Post by bevanbowles »

I am trying to help a member find out what happened to her donation she made last year. She showed me a bank statement showing she made the donation, but there is no record of it in her donation history. I think she just needs some sort of record for tax purposes, but I don't know what to do about it. Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missing Donation Information

Post by russellhltn »

You didn't say how it was donated. If it was on-line, she'd need to track down the account used and get a statement there.

If it was to the ward, you need to go though your records to correct it. If it was to another ward, then she needs to get a statement from them.

I say "get a statement" because even if you fix what prevented her donation from making it to her statement, we don't know how long it will take to get there - if it ever gets there. (The tax statements have already been generated.)

If you need additional help, contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

Here are some scenarios (since we don't have all the details):

1. If it was a traditional envelope donation to the Bishopric, then it could have easily been submitted under the wrong name (my ward has many people with the same name, so it can be confusing sometimes). If you think that is the case compare the banks statement date to the donation slips from that weekly batch and you should find the problem quickly.
2. It could have been an activity donation. Fund raising for activities (budget/other authorized member activities categories) will not appear on the official tax statement issued by the church (only the traditional tithing, fast offering, humanitarian etc... categories transfer to the tax statement). If you think this is the case, check her donation history and check the categories (these will appear on the donation history statement in the tithing settlement section).
3. The new tax statements generated on lcr will show all donations for the member (including out of ward ones), but they are only generated in mid January. If after fixing any donation issues, the donation does not appear on her tax statement, the yellow slip is considered a valid record, so she can just file that with her other statement for records purposes. If you are really worried you can make up a tax statement for the Bishop to sign for that specific donation.

One other thing about other ward donations:
If the other ward does not enter the member record number in MLS correctly, the donation will be to a non-ward donor and will not appear on any member linked donation statements (lcr or the donation site). Always make sure to get those member record numbers when you get those (usually for grandparents donating to their grand kids' mission funds).
genegjr66

Post by genegjr66 »

hello I made an online donation on January 3 2020 for $20 it was pulled from my bank account but not recorded on my donation History on my LDS account the last one that was recorded on my LDS donation history page was 12/31/2019 how do I find out were the donation that was made on 1/3/20 went to bcuz it was not recorded on my LDS donation history page it was pulled from my bank account and it was not reversed it posted to my bank account only
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

genegjr66 wrote:hello I made an online donation on January 3 2020 for $20 it was pulled from my bank account but not recorded on my donation History on my LDS account the last one that was recorded on my LDS donation history page was 12/31/2019 how do I find out were the donation that was made on 1/3/20 went to bcuz it was not recorded on my LDS donation history page it was pulled from my bank account and it was not reversed it posted to my bank account only
Your first step would be to speak with your ward/branch clerk. He can see both the in-person and online donations and may be able to let you know the status. If not, he can help you contact the globel service center for additional assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since you made the donation online, I'd make sure it was done from the same Church Account. If you happened to donate from a different account, that would explain everything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”