Can't add baptism info

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jtyewhit

Can't add baptism info

Post by jtyewhit »

We have a child of a member in our ward that we are unable to record baptism info for.
We have a record for the child, and he shows up on the family tab in LCR. But when we try to edit the child, we don't see anywhere to enter the baptism date. When we try to add him as a new record, LCR says he already exists so we can't add a new one.

There is something funny about the child's record because when I look at the family tab for the mom, I see the son. But I can’t find the son just searching in the Stake. I'm wondering if his record is some kind of a placeholder. The family history suggests that he isn't a child of record so I don't know where the current record came from.

Anyway, what are the conditions under which the baptism info is non-editable?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't add baptism info

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not up on the screens in LCR. The son is likely to show up as a child in the parent's record, but if you're not seeing him in the general ward membership list, then odds are he doesn't have an actual "member of record" record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

It sounds like you don't have an actual record for the child. It is possible that a record was never created. A previous clerk may have added the child to the parents record but not created a new record for the child.

Try to move the record for the child into the ward to see if the record is in the wrong place. If that doesn't work, you will need to create a record.

Option 1: Create a new record for the child (Membership > Create Record). Once you are done, you would need to check the parents' records to make sure the child isn't listed twice on their records (the nonmember child and the record that you created).

Option 2: Go to the Family tab and edit the child on one parent's record. There will be an option there to create a new record for that child. Once you are done, you will have an actual membership record and can record the ordinance. Then check the child on the other parent's record. You may need to edit the child on that parent's record, but this time you would search for the record you just created.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jtyewhit wrote:The family history suggests that he isn't a child of record so I don't know where the current record came from.
Let me guess: converts.

Typically the mission (which handles convert baptisms) will create records for those baptized. Children not baptized will be noted on the parent's records in what I call the "genealogy" section, but will NOT have a "child of record" created for them. This tends to create confusion as they appear to exist (on the parent's records) but they don't exist (in the directory or any class roles).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jtyewhit

Post by jtyewhit »

Thank you for the suggestions! We will give those a go.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”