MLS not printing membership updates after update

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Biggles

Re: MLS not printing membership updates after update

Post by Biggles »

Any Clerk worth his calling should be checking the Move In/Out reports, at least once a week. It takes less than a minute, especially since it has been made available in LCR. At the best of times, I found the MLS notifications, very annoying.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Actually, that's quite subjective, as was my comment. I should have qualified my "in your face" notification as being something that I liked. If someone else finds them annoying, who am I to say they're not annoying for that person. They're not annoying for me, but that's irrelevant to how you feel about it.

And whether you can determine that a ward clerk is magnifying their calling by whether they're checking the move reports is very subjective too. For a transient ward, checking the reports might be part of the calling. For a well established ward where moves are rare, why should checking a weekly report be part of their calling? It's totally dependent on the needs of that ward.

And as far as it taking "less than a minute" to check the report, you must be blessed with high speed internet. Getting to the website, logging in, getting to the reports can easily take much longer with slow and sporadic internet connections.

All I'm saying is that I would prefer an option to be notified. The option could be off by default so that you don't get notified, but I could turn it on. I'm basing this request on my years of ward clerk experience, the needs of my ward, and from my (too many) decades as a software engineer.
cspinfo@telus.net

Post by cspinfo@telus.net »

VERY useful thread. Thanks to all posters.

Must add that the Membership Transaction Report was more specific (showing WHAT was changed in a record) and therefore far more useful, when tracking down changes to membership records. A loss of CRITICAL info, especially for ward/membership clerks, IMHO. (And finance clerks who needed a forwarding address for tithing settlement or tax receipt purposes.)

When will we see a replacement, that could be made even more useful by making it searchable by name/MRN and range of dates? (Wading thru a simple change log in LCR, without the ability to search/filter results, would be an onerous task!)

The Move-In and Move-Out notices in Membership Update Reports were useful IMO. Fortunately, they've been retained in LCR, but only passively by running reports.
cspinfo@telus.net

Post by cspinfo@telus.net »

No new posts in 5 months, so thot I'd ask again when we might see a replacement in LCR for the Membership Transaction Report (or searchable & filterable data from membership changes done in LCR)?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cspinfo@telus.net wrote:No new posts in 5 months, so thot I'd ask again when we might see a replacement in LCR for the Membership Transaction Report (or searchable & filterable data from membership changes done in LCR)?
I'm guessing that you're referring to this second-hand report:
wasserbaech wrote:Greetings. I also wrote to headquarters about the membership record update reports not printing since the latest version of MLS was released, a change that was not mentioned in the release notes. I was told that this change was intentional. At some time in the future, a change log will be made available in LCR.
Even if that second-hand report is reliable, the term "the future" is quite vague; it could be years from now, or plans could change and it might never happen. Or it could happen next month. This is a user-to-user forum with only occasional input from Church employees who are in the know. Rarely do we hear about any detailed plans until features are actually implemented, so the best course of action is always to use the tools we have now and gratefully adapt to changes when they happen. But you're always welcome to submit your request using the Feedback link on LCR.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”