MLS 2.9.2 Released

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

MLS 2.9.2 Released

Post by aebrown »

The final released version of MLS 2.9.2 is now available for download on mls.lds.org, and will be automatically downloaded to administrative computers. The release notes mention three items:
General Changes
Those users with temple recommend rights may now look up a temple recommend by recommend number.

Changes Related to Membership
The line spacing of the Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS) now reduces the number of reports that are longer than one page.

Changes Related to Finance
Church Unit Financial Statements now have the currency type listed at the top of the first page. For the United States this is "Dollar." For Canada this is "CA Dollar." This was put there for the benefit of units who deal in more than one currency and receive more than one statement. Others may ignore this.

Also, at least one bug (Temple Recommend Scanning Bug) has been fixed.
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

I am experiencing problems in downloading MLS 2.9.2. The download window (Vista) reports the download at 99% complete and never finishes. The file is supposed to be 87.7 MB, but my downloaded file is actually reporting 89.873 MB. The program seems to install ok, but since I am trying it on a Vista machine, it doesn't work quiit right, so I can't confirm that the download is correct. I would like to pre-install MLS 2.9.2 on all the admin computers in my stake tomorrow, but hesitate to do so until I know the downloaded file is installing correctly. Has anyone had success in the full install of MLS 2.9.2? Or has anyone had similar problems in the download that I am experiencing?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

gpetersen wrote:I am experiencing problems in downloading MLS 2.9.2. The download window (Vista) reports the download at 99% complete and never finishes. The file is supposed to be 87.7 MB, but my downloaded file is actually reporting 89.873 MB. The program seems to install ok, but since I am trying it on a Vista machine, it doesn't work quiit right, so I can't confirm that the download is correct. I would like to pre-install MLS 2.9.2 on all the admin computers in my stake tomorrow, but hesitate to do so until I know the downloaded file is installing correctly. Has anyone had success in the full install of MLS 2.9.2? Or has anyone had similar problems in the download that I am experiencing?
MLS is not compatible with Vista. There are other threads in the forum discussing this issue. The one titled MLS 2.9 Vista Compatibility is one.

There should be no problem in just downloading the file on a Vista machine. Try clearing your %temp% directory/folder before attempting another download to see if you can get a better downloaded file.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I did the download on my XP machine. 87.7 MB sounds about right. Explorer reports it as 89,873 KB in size (which translates to 87.7666 MB). Properties lists it as 92,033,024 bytes.

The download went normally, but slow. I think I only averaged 232Kbit/sec on a cable modem that tested right afterwords at 4.5Mbit.

The file installed and appears to run normally.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gpetersen wrote:I am experiencing problems in downloading MLS 2.9.2. The download window (Vista) reports the download at 99% complete and never finishes. The file is supposed to be 87.7 MB, but my downloaded file is actually reporting 89.873 MB. The program seems to install ok, but since I am trying it on a Vista machine, it doesn't work quiit right, so I can't confirm that the download is correct. I would like to pre-install MLS 2.9.2 on all the admin computers in my stake tomorrow, but hesitate to do so until I know the downloaded file is installing correctly. Has anyone had success in the full install of MLS 2.9.2? Or has anyone had similar problems in the download that I am experiencing?

I have done a full download of MLS 2.9.2 on Vista and it worked just fine. It sounds to me like you are getting the full installation program. The confusion on file sizes is due to the age-old inconsistency between 1000 and 1024 being used as KB. The download file is indeed 87.7MB, or 89,873KB (which is what Vista reports), or 92,029,603 bytes -- these are all equivalent measures because 1KB = 1024 bytes and 1MB = 1024KB = 1,048,576 bytes. Look at the properties of the downloaded file and examine the file size (listed in parentheses); if it is 92,029,603, then you have the correct size. That doesn't guarantee no corruption, but at least it guarantees you have the right number of bytes.
jdlessley wrote:MLS is not compatible with Vista. There are other threads in the forum discussing this issue. The one titled MLS 2.9 Vista Compatibility is one.

The MLS-Vista incompatibilities have nothing to do with the download, and actually nothing to do with installing MLS on Vista. You can install MLS just fine on a Vista machine to see if the download worked. The problems occur only when you actually try to run MLS on Vista. If there is some sort of problem with your download it would be revealed when you install MLS using that installer, so I would advise you to use your downloaded installer to install MLS on your Vista machine to verify that the installer is sound.

If you look at the thread jdlessley referenced, you will see a possible way to set the Compatibility Mode to actually run MLS on Vista with the test database. I do it all the time, and only rarely experience odd behavior.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Properties lists it as 92,033,024 bytes.

Careful, here. The file properties lists the "Size" as 92,029,603 bytes. The "Size on disk" may be listed as 92,033,024 bytes, but that depends on the cluster size of the hard drive. That particular value will only be correct if the cluster size is 4KB, so it might be different on different hard drives. Use the "Size" value, as it is reliably consistent on all hard drives.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Careful, here. The file properties lists the "Size" as 92,029,603 bytes. The "Size on disk" may be listed as 92,033,024 bytes, but that depends on the cluster size of the hard drive. That particular value will only be correct if the cluster size is 4KB, so it might be different on different hard drives. Use the "Size" value, as it is reliably consistent on all hard drives.
Interesting. Thanks for that clarification, I always wondered.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:The MLS-Vista incompatibilities have nothing to do with the download, and actually nothing to do with installing MLS on Vista.
Exactly. As I understood what gpetersen was saying was that because he had download issues he installed it on a Vista machine to see if the install would complete. He then tried to run MLS on the Vista machine after what appeared to be a good install. Since he said it did not quite work right, I reminded him, and those not familiar with MLS and Vista compatibilities, that completing a normal install on Vista there will be problems. He may not have taken the necessary steps to get functionality on a Vista machine as described in the thread I referred him to. In so doing this would not be a good test of the validity of the downloaded file.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Careful, here. The file properties lists the "Size" as 92,029,603 bytes. The "Size on disk" may be listed as 92,033,024 bytes, but that depends on the cluster size of the hard drive.
Whoops! Old habits come back to bite (byte?). I usually look at the "Size on disk" since I'm usually more interested in "resources used". I looked at the wrong number.

Thanks for the catch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

Thanks for all of your input. I didn't feel good about my original download and downloaded MLS 2.9.2 using another PC. All of the the installs I did today went off without a hitch. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”