Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Post by russellhltn »

As a worldwide church, I'd imagine that some states or countries have some legal hoops that have to be jumped though to justify why that person needs access to additional information. That could be quite difficult for custom callings since their roles is not outlined in the church's leadership manuals.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

michaelmoosman wrote:There have been several situations arise where it would have been very helpful to have the ability to customize access. I am stake assistant executive secretary. Until recently I had no LCR access. So I was added in the computer to a calling I did not have to get access, which is not correct. We have seen other situations where a member needed regular access to some specific list or report but couldn't get access. What happens in those situations? A person with access will provide the information they need, or they are added to a calling they don't have. But why should we have callings that aren't outlined in the handbook? Nearly every ward has calling not outlined in the handbook because the Lord knows each ward has some individual needs, and each person has individual needs which may result in a custom calling, and need custom access. LCR doesn't know that. I would prefer to minimize administring in the Church so we can focus on ministering.
There is no way for you to customize access to LCR.

We are aware that there are stakes and wards recording members in uncalled positions to grant them access. The problem tends to be more pronounced in stakes because that are often stake leaders who feel they need access to member data but the Church has determined that members in those positions do not need expanded access to LCR. There are currently thirty stakes with 15 or more assistant clerks, including seven stakes with over 20 assistant clerks! We have even seen instances where members have been given "callings" in stakes they do not live in so that they will have access to Church systems.

It sounds like you're somewhat uncomfortable with your stake's current practice of assigning members to positions they do not hold to give them access to data. The only suggestion I can offer is to evaluate who needs "regular access" to data and why. The follow-up questions then become "is there a reason that the Church decided not to provide this calling access to that data" and "what can we reasonably do to allow the member to fulfill their assignment without exploiting the system to give them access to Church systems?"

You or your stake president can make suggestions if you feel specific positions need access to certain data and do not have it. Your stake president can work with the area authority responsible for his coordinating council to make suggestions if he feels that the access rights need to be changed. Suggestions sent to LCR feedback are also reviewed. It is unlikely that you will receive a reply if you send a message to LCR feedback, but the feedback is reviewed.
ajdriggs

Post by ajdriggs »

Thanks for the feedback on this note. Our stake has need of some clarification on this matter also. Our stake presidency has called an assistant to learn the calling as a possible replacement for the current exec. sec. in the future. We have a very large stake and our current stake exec. sec. seems to be irreplaceable. He has been in the calling for about 15 years. The assistant called is being trained in this calling and will be given responsibilities that will enable him to possibly be ready and called to be the new stake exec. sec. at some point. Without access to records in the LCR it limits the ability to train him and to be given responsibilities in helping to shoulder the massive responsibilities our stake presidency has. What would be the best advise for helping him to have access he needs to help in this calling?

Also, he is assigned the calling, but doesn't not have access to Handbook #1. Would there be a reason he cannot access this through his LDS account or in the gospel library as I can?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ajdriggs wrote:Also, he is assigned the calling, but doesn't not have access to Handbook #1. Would there be a reason he cannot access this through his LDS account or in the gospel library as I can?
The instant you use a custom calling, the person gets no special access. Zip, nada, zilch, nothing. Only standard positions (the kind you can't type the title) grant any type of access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Russell is correct. As an option, you can keep his custom calling as "Stake Assistant Executive Secretary" on paper, but in LCR or MLS assign him the standard calling of "Stake Assistant Clerk". That should give him much of the visibility he will need to learn the ropes.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Mikerowaved wrote:keep his custom calling as "Stake Assistant Executive Secretary" on paper, but in LCR or MLS assign him the standard calling of "Stake Assistant Clerk"
They could also call him as a stake assistant clerk with a specific assignment to work with the stake executive secretary and learn how things function so that he can eventually be called to that position.
davefrankman

Post by davefrankman »

sbradshaw wrote: Yes, assistant Relief Society secretaries have the same access on Leader and Clerk Resources as the Relief Society secretary.
Has this been verified? Our Assistant secretary is having some trouble.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

davefrankman wrote:
sbradshaw wrote: Yes, assistant Relief Society secretaries have the same access on Leader and Clerk Resources as the Relief Society secretary.
I just double checked it and it does work that way. What kind of trouble is she having? Is she using the Church Account with her membership number attached?
davefrankman

Post by davefrankman »

jonesrk wrote:
davefrankman wrote:
I just double checked it and it does work that way. What kind of trouble is she having? Is she using the Church Account with her membership number attached?
I will have to check with her. I guess what they want to do is send text messages with the Tools application. Can you tell me how you checked? I would like to have that skill if I have access to it so I can check for others as well. I checked the access table and it shows the presidency as a whole rather than breaking out all the callings within the presidency.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

davefrankman wrote: I will have to check with her. I guess what they want to do is send text messages with the Tools application. Can you tell me how you checked? I would like to have that skill if I have access to it so I can check for others as well. I checked the access table and it shows the presidency as a whole rather than breaking out all the callings within the presidency.
I only checked in LCR. I don't have the ability to check in Tools. I checked using an ability I get from my assignments at work (Church employee). If I were needing to check in my ward the best way to do it is to have them sit down at the computer (for LCR, their phone for Tools) and watch what they are doing. Usually with that I can see where the issue is.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”