Changing Password in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

billv wrote:Doesn't the Ward Clerk have admin rights? You can still have a stake account and if you and the stake clerk are doing that much work on the ward machines, create an "out of unit member" on each ward's machine for your personal user.

In the case at hand described above, it was the branch clerk who forgot his password.

Even so, it seems like someone else in the unit should have local admin rights, especially if help from the stake is two hours away. It does not require a high level of technical expertise to perform such functions as resetting a user's password. In our ward, the bishop and counselors have admin rights, in addition to the clerk.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:Even so, it seems like someone else in the unit should have local admin rights, especially if help from the stake is two hours away.
That is not only wise, it is policy to have at least two administrators at the ward level. See the ReocrdKeepingFAQ, which says on page 51:
Question:
How many individuals should have administrator rights in MLS?

Answer:
At least two users should be identified by the stake president (for stake MLS) or bishop
(for ward MLS) and assigned as administrators in MLS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

boomerbubba wrote:In the case at hand described above, it was the branch clerk who forgot his password.

Even so, it seems like someone else in the unit should have local admin rights, especially if help from the stake is two hours away.
The branch president does. He only lives an hour away from the meetinghouse. And one of the counselors who lives an hour away in a different direction is a third admin. The branch clerk, who lives in the town where the branch is located, wanted to work on some things during the week and not have to wait until Sunday, so we worked it out for him.

The distances we put up with out here are very difficult for folks in smaller geographical units to understand. This used to totally perplex the help desk when they wanted me to be at the computer to solve a problem. I would say, "Sure, I will drive there right after work. It will be 8:15 pm your time. Will you still be there?" (No, of course not.)

I drive 65 miles to the stake center each week for presidency meeting. One way. Great blessings. And I also enjoy walking to Church when I am visiting my parents. Two blocks, 2nd meetinghouse on the right. Same blessings. I wouldn't trade any of my experiences for the world.
davidkarlschmidt

Re: Changing Password in MLS

Post by davidkarlschmidt »

I recently was forced to change my password a few weeks ago and for the life of me can’t remember what it was. I have not been able to find out how I can reset a new password on MLS. Any answers?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidkarlschmidt wrote:how I can reset a new password on MLS. Any answers?
You'll need someone who is listed in MLS has have an admin account, to reset your password. However, that admin will need another MLS user to also sign in to complete the process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gorfang1

Post by gorfang1 »

We only have two admins in this small branch and I forgot my password. It can not be reset because the system requires two people to reset it. How can I get this fixed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gorfang1 wrote:We only have two admins in this small branch and I forgot my password. It can not be reset because the system requires two people to reset it. How can I get this fixed.
I don't think it requires two admins. Just an admin and one other user.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
simonbader

Post by simonbader »

We have the exact same situation. How did you solve the situation? Only admins appear in the list of users to confirm, a normal user does not help here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

simonbader wrote:We have the exact same situation. How did you solve the situation? Only admins appear in the list of users to confirm, a normal user does not help here.
If you follow the process and select the first admin, what list comes up for the second person?

Ultimately, you can always call support for help - but not on Sunday.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”