MLS User Removal

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
topsgtret

Re: MLS User Removal

Post by topsgtret »

MLS does not allow a MRN to be associated with more than one user account.
But that is exactly what I found. And yes he is connected thru finance activity since joining the Bishopric. I will be discussing with the Bishop Sunday about changing user names to individuals instead of "callings".
Thanks very much, I think I have this under control now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

topsgtret wrote:
MLS does not allow a MRN to be associated with more than one user account.
But that is exactly what I found.
As I explained earlier, it's true that the current version of MLS "does not allow a MRN to be associated with more than one user account."

But that was not true in the past. MLS versions prior to 3.5 did allow an MRN to be associated with any number of user accounts. So if your MLS had multiple user accounts associated with a single MRN prior to 3.5, those associations will still be in place. But because of the new restrictions, you won't be able to save changes to those user accounts until you remove the duplicate associations.
topsgtret wrote:I will be discussing with the Bishop Sunday about changing user names to individuals instead of "callings".
Good plan -- that will make it easier to sort all this out and avoid such problems in the future.
tberbert

Post by tberbert »

I have read through this post and other posts, and it's still not clear to me what it is that triggers a connection to a financial transaction in the database. I did a quick experiment with MLS 3.6.0_21590:

1) Create a new MLS User and associate it with someone who is not a financial clerk or Bishopric member.
2) Immediately try to delete the MLS user.

The result? I was unable to delete the user because the name was tied to financial transactions in the database. The behavior doesn't seem quite right. Is this the way it is supposed to work? If so, is it checking if that user has ever made a donation or received reimbursements, or is it only supposed to check for transactions that a financial clerk or Bishopric member would make? If I were to choose someone who has never donated or received reimbursements should I then be able to delete the user?

Sorry for all the questions, but I suspect that the current behavior still isn't quite right, and there may be a bug in there somewhere. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tberbert wrote:1) Create a new MLS User and associate it with someone who is not a financial clerk or Bishopric member.
2) Immediately try to delete the MLS user.

The result? I was unable to delete the user because the name was tied to financial transactions in the database. The behavior doesn't seem quite right.
I would have expected that it would only happen if the user was tied to some financial transaction. From what I'm reading, the new user never logged into to MLS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tberbert wrote:I was unable to delete the user because the name was tied to financial transactions in the database.
This most certainly sounds like a bug. Simply adding a user and then trying to delete that user without that user ever having logged onto MLS and MLS not allowing the user to be deleted with the message that the user is tied to a financial transaction is an excellent indication there is a bug.
tberbert wrote:Is this the way it is supposed to work? If so, is it checking if that user has ever made a donation or received reimbursements, or is it only supposed to check for transactions that a financial clerk or Bishopric member would make?
An MLS user is tied to a financial transaction when he signs into MLS and completes a finance transaction that changes finance database data. Such transactions, but not all transactions, include entering or updating donations, entering or updating expenses, editing the budget, or entering transfers. Additionally, the companion verifying a donation batch is tied to a financial transaction when he enters his user name and password to verify the batch.

A member who makes a donation or receives a disbursement payment is not tied to a financial transaction for the purpose of MLS user profiles.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tberbert

Post by tberbert »

Hopefully this defect is easy to duplicate on any MLS 3.6.0_21590 computer and is not specific to our particular computer and database. I know that in a previous release our financial clerk found a defect and he worked with the engineers to get it resolved in the current update, but initially they may have manually tried to manipulate the database as a way to temporarily resolve the accounting issue. I would like to hear if anyone else can duplicate this issue.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

tberbert wrote:Hopefully this defect is easy to duplicate on any MLS 3.6.0_21590 computer and is not specific to our particular computer and database. I know that in a previous release our financial clerk found a defect and he worked with the engineers to get it resolved in the current update, but initially they may have manually tried to manipulate the database as a way to temporarily resolve the accounting issue. I would like to hear if anyone else can duplicate this issue.
I duplicated this in a test install of 3.5.3 so this isn't something just introduced. Note that the message said the user was referenced in a database record. It didn't say financial record. But even so, you should be able to delete a user that was just created and never used.
jirp

Post by jirp »

MLS doesn't automatically remove an inactive account at least in the middle of the year.(maybe it does with year end) During the membership audit I had one I set active and then could delete after its sitting there for over a year and being unable to delete it. So maybe when the record expires you can delete it before MLS does year end clean up. I had to set the account active again to be able to delete it was the only catch. It hadn't worked previously and I was looking for a software glitch not realizing the finance records were the cause of the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's odd. I'd expect MLS to delete an inactive account during the end-of-year processing when the finance data was purged.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregbishop

Post by gregbishop »

Our ward unit is experiencing the same difficulty. We weren't able to remove any male user accounts - even those that weren't connected to any MNR. We haven't cleaned up the user account for over a year and the only ones that were able to actually be removed were for female MRNs.
We have several that have likely been inactive for at least a year and possibly several years and have not been removed. We assume that having them be made inactive is sufficient but the organizational desire in me wishes we could just remove the user accounts that will never be used again. We have a few situations of user accounts for members that have not had their records in our unit for more than a couple of years and we cannot remove their accounts either.
If this is bug, I'm happy to work through the fixing of it.
Thanks!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”