MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not available

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
genman

Re: MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not availabl

Post by genman »

jeremygreer wrote:I have some callings in MLS that disagree with CDOL, and callings in lds.org that disagree with both CDOL and MLS.
I think that implementation by the software development team of solution E in the following related thread would solve this and other problems:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14784#
klwilkinson

Post by klwilkinson »

I have also had issues with callings not matching up in MLS, CDOL, and clerk and leader resources.

I followed the instructions given in links posted earlier regarding correcting duplicate and missing callings. I attempted to delete the duplicate callings by deleting the entire calling from MLS. However, after doing a unit data refresh, the callings were not being deleted, so I'd have to reenter the callings and try again. I did this a few times and realized that each time I reentered the calling in MLS, it was adding the calling again into CDOL. So, I now had even more duplicated callings in CDOL. I finally realized that I could not delete the calling, but could only remove the person from the calling in order for it to delete the calling in CDOL. In MLS, it was only showing a single calling (it didn't have the duplicates present in CDOL), so I would have to delete the person in the calling and then do a data refresh and repeat multiple times until the callings were all corrected.

This worked to get all of my organizations corrected, except Sunday School.

I had a problem in Sunday School where I had merged the youth Sunday School classes, but the youth were not being properly assigned to the merged classes. I finally decided to just reset the classes. However, when I would do a unit data refresh to correct the callings, the refresh would add the merged classes back into MLS. Each time I repeated the process to correct the callings, I continued to try and fix the classes at the same time. However, what I didn't realize was happening is that this was duplicating the Sunday School classes that show up when I look at the Sunday School Organization using clerk resources online. I finally tried to delete all of the Sunday School teachers to see if that would help out. Now I have 4 teachers that show up in CDOL (two of them show up twice) along with all of the duplicate classes with the online tools. No teachers show up in MLS and they still don't show up after doing a unit data refresh.

Sorry this is so long... but I'm trying to explain what I've done (and I'm not sure I've done a good job of that either). I wish the Sunday School information in CDOL and online could just be deleted and allow me to reenter the information in MLS, but it sounds like that is not an option. If anyone can help me figure out what to do next, I'd appreciate it.
genman

Post by genman »

klwilkinson wrote:I attempted to delete the duplicate callings by deleting the entire calling from MLS. However, after doing a unit data refresh, the callings were not being deleted, so I'd have to reenter the callings and try again.
Doing a unit data refresh should cause all of the duplicate callings from CDOL to show up in MLS. The deleting of the entire calling from MLS needs to happen AFTER you do the unit data refresh, not before. After the refresh, you should delete all of the callings for the duplicate calling type. Then do Send/Receive. The delete may not be immediately seen in CDOL. You have to wait for it. Adding back in the calling just so you can delete it is a sure way to cause orphaned callings in CDOL that will not be in MLS. Never add a calling just so you can delete it. That will not work, and, as you saw, it makes it worse. Just simply complete delete all of the callings that had duplicates, then press Send/Receive. Then wait; within a day those callings will disappear from CDOL. Note, though, that you have to have done a real full Unit Data Refresh before you delete those callings.
klwilkinson wrote:In MLS, it was only showing a single calling (it didn't have the duplicates present in CDOL)
After doing the Unit Data Refresh, MLS should have the duplicates present in CDOL. That's the purpose of doing a Unit Data Refresh, to make MLS callings list look like what is at CDOL. By the way, just to make sure we are all on the same page, doing a Unit Data Refresh is more than just simply going to File > Request Unit Data Refresh and selecting Membership data and pressing Send/Receive. That action just requests the Unit Data Refresh. To complete the Unit Data Refresh, you have to come back in a few hours (I was told 24 hours), then press Send/Receive again in order to get the unit data refresh file downloaded to your MLS.
klwilkinson wrote:However, when I would do a unit data refresh to correct the callings, the refresh would add the merged classes back into MLS.
That another reason why doing a Unit Data Refresh Download is a blunt tool that is not a good workaround to this problem; it undoes any merged classes, and it undoes any out-of-unit callings you had defined. Unfortunately it is the only tool we have right now for it. Refrain from merging the classes again after the Unit Data Refresh until a few days later after all of the callings are settled.
klwilkinson wrote:No teachers show up in MLS and they still don't show up after doing a unit data refresh.
My guess is that you are not doing the Unit Data Refresh correctly. Again, just selecting File > Request Unit Data Refresh and then doing Send/Receive is NOT doing a unit data refresh. That just queues up a request for one. To actually do the unit data refresh, you need to come back 24 hours later and do another Send/Receive
klwilkinson wrote:I wish the Sunday School information in CDOL and online could just be deleted and allow me to reenter the information in MLS, but it sounds like that is not an option.
I agree with you. The Unit Data Refresh Download is not an intuitive tool and requires much care and feeding to do it right. What we really need, the silver bullet in cases like this, is a "Request Unit Org Data Refresh UPLOAD" capability in MLS. The clerk would get MLS to appear just like it should be, then select that data refresh upload, then CDOL would magically look just like MLS. We seem to be going to great contortions because that capability is not present in MLS. I fear that a lot of clerks will spend a lot of effort continually trying to fix these synch problems between MLS and LDS.org, or the problems just won't get fixed and people will eventually learn to ignore the Org data at LDS.org because it is unreliable.
klwilkinson

Post by klwilkinson »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will use your suggestions and see if I can fix the mess I have created. I think I understand how to go about resolving the duplicate callings. However, I don't see a way to delete duplicate classes, so I'm not sure how that issue will be resolved.

I do like your recommendation for an UPLOAD capability. It would definitely be easier for me to correct everything in MLS and then send the information to CDOL to mirror the corrections.
genman

Post by genman »

klwilkinson wrote:I don't see a way to delete duplicate classes
I'm not 100% sure that I know what you mean by duplicate classes. You are either referring to duplicate instructor callings or actual duplicate class names. But in either case, I think the way to delete them is similar. Before doing anything, make sure you had printed a Callings By Organizations report so that when you have to add things back in you will be able to get them back to how they are supposed to be. Now that you have your backup printout, you need to do a Unit Data Refresh (i.e. File > Request Unit Data Refresh; check Membership data; OK; Then Send/Receive Changes; then wait 24 hours; then do Send/Receive Changes again for the Unit Data Refresh to take affect). Then at this point your MLS should look identical to CDOL. All of the duplicate classes that were at CDOL should now be in MLS. All of the duplicate or orphaned callings that were at CDOL should now be in MLS. At this point, you need to have a laser beam focus. Don't try to do too much. One thing at a time. Now is only a time to delete. Just delete all of ALL of the merged classes you see. And delete ALL of the callings that are involved in a duplicate. Now do Send/Receive; that will communicate all of the deletes (of both callings and classes) that you just did to the refreshed data back to CDOL. At this point, I would not do anything else for a while. Just wait up to 24 hours, monitoring CDOL via LDS.org to see that the deletes worked. Once you verified that the CDOL deletes worked and there are no longer duplicate callings nor classes at CDOL, then you can go back to MLS and start adding back in merged classes and callings to be how you want them to be. Then press Send/Receive. The next day you can check CDOL and it should be all good.

Good luck!
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

klwilkinson wrote: However, I don't see a way to delete duplicate classes, so I'm not sure how that issue will be resolved.
I think you are being affected by a bug we just found this week. We are trying to have a fix out for it next week. I will look on Monday when I'm back at work to see if your Sunday School has the problem we know about. In the meantime rather than trying to use reset classes you can try to merge the class into the correct one. Also in the merged Course 14/15 class try removing the positions that don't have anyone assigned and do a send/receive then try to remove it (you may have to split it and then merge them into the real classes to remove them).

The bug is if CDOL thinks there are any positions open or people with callings assigned to that class we won't remove the class.
klwilkinson

Post by klwilkinson »

I didn't have much time to work on these issues today. I tried to split and merge the classes together, and it seemed to work in MLS. However, when I look at the Sunday School organization classes online through the resources on lds.org it still shows lots of multiple classes. I don't remember if I removed the teacher positions associated with the classes or not. I did a unit data refresh before I left church today. I'll go back during the week and see if the sunday school teachers that appear in CDOL are back in MLS or not so that I can remove them.

Thanks for the help.
engineereeyore

Post by engineereeyore »

I am also having problems with this. We had a Bishopric change, EQP change, YW change and Primary change. The Bishopric change went through, but took several weeks and a number of conversations between myself, the Stake Clerk, and MLS support. The EQP change went through without any issues. However, the YW and Primary presidencies still are not showing up and it has been almost two months.

Is there any way to specifically isolate exactly what is happening and whether this is an issue on our side or an issue on the Church's servers?
hartkjfamily

Post by hartkjfamily »

Any progress on syncing callings in units MLS to LDS.org?
Beehive Class updates have not propagated for several months now. Unit #0023086.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

hartkjfamily wrote:Any progress on syncing callings in units MLS to LDS.org?
Beehive Class updates have not propagated for several months now. Unit #0023086.
Are any of the changes new changes? We have fixed the known problems with callings syncing, but things that got lost during the time of problems won't just fix themselves. You can change something about the calling (the set apart flag is the easiest), save it, then change it back. That should send it up to CDOL (the source for LDS.org).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”