How many computers can MLS be on?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How many computers can MLS be on?

Post by russellhltn »

I'm mildly curious about a stake office having 3 computers. Unless some where used for things like webcasting, it would be most unusual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Post by failproof »

One each for the stake clerk, stake exec sec, and assistant stake clerk. The stake clerk's is the one with MLS on it. I've only recently inherited responsibility for them, but as I think about the handful of times I've been in the stake offices over the last 5 years or so, seems like they have always had 3.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Surprised the FM group didn't say something when it came time to replace them. I would have expected them to replace one and state that the others are "not official".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

We have two computers in our stake clerk's office and only one was replaced last year. The other was - as previously stated - "unofficial", so we're stuck with replacing it ourselves if necessary.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

failproof wrote:Basically I should tell them to use the web tools where available and use the one MLS machine for any real MLS needs.
That's a pretty good summary. It might be comforting to know that every year more functionality of MLS is being shifted to web-based applications. For example, the most requested feature to shift to the cloud has been HT/VT reporting. If/when that ever happens, it will help a bit more to reduce the hands-on time needed on the MLS PC's. Patience is the key.
conan

Post by conan »

After reading what has been posted here I think I have my answer. The reason I have for wanting two computers in the clerks office is so membership and finance can be done at the same time. A single computer in the the clerks office is a huge bottle neck that is frustrating to clerks that are trying to do what is required of them. Is there any hope in the future of being able to have two computers in the clerks office both with mls?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

conan wrote:Is there any hope in the future of being able to have two computers in the clerks office both with mls?
With MLS? Not a chance. The church is not putting the development effort there.

Two computers using web tools? Technically possible, but I doubt if the church is going to foot the bill for two computers.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

conan wrote:After reading what has been posted here I think I have my answer. The reason I have for wanting two computers in the clerks office is so membership and finance can be done at the same time. A single computer in the the clerks office is a huge bottle neck that is frustrating to clerks that are trying to do what is required of them. Is there any hope in the future of being able to have two computers in the clerks office both with mls?
This problem usually occurs when clerks and others try to do everything on Sunday before, during , and after meetings.

As a experience clerk I have found that it is much better if clerks come into the clerks office during the week in which to accomplish clerk work. For instance every Tuesday I go into the clerks office and write any check that need written so that the bishop can sign them on Wednesday when his in the building for YM/YW.

Trying to do most of the clerk work on another day of the week allows our clerks to attend SS and Priesthood meeting as well a frees up the office on Sunday so that we can better serve the members who may have an urgent request for reports or class rolls. Although we also try and process these things during the week and have them ready for the next week if possible.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I agree that it's usually quite relaxing to do clerk MLS stuff on a weekday (and sometimes a good way to unwind in between your daily commute and arriving at home). But then I hear comments from people who have to drive a significant distance out of their way to get to the ward or stake building. For me, the church is only about 2 miles from home. So, let's keep requesting (and praying for) more MLS functions online.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mrrad wrote:But then I hear comments from people who have to drive a significant distance out of their way to get to the ward or stake building.
We have to keep in mind that the drive is no longer for the clerk as it is for other leaders, YM/YW for example, who due to their calling have to do it at least once a week besides Sunday.
mrrad wrote:So, let's keep requesting (and praying for) more MLS functions online.
By all means being able to accomplish the clerk duties online will be a great blessing for all clerks.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”