Stake MLS link up with Ward and Branch MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Hijt

Stake MLS link up with Ward and Branch MLS

Post by Hijt »

Last month we had Stake Conference and The Stake Presidency sent letters out to all the members in the stake. Several days later we all received ours in the mail. After a week or so, the stake handed back to our branch, several letters that could not be delivered because of bad addresses. My first thought was, I need to get the correct addresses into our branch MLS program. When I went in, I found that we did have the correct addresses which meant that the stake MLS addresses were not correct. I was under the impression that the church would synchronize those address every time the stake transmitted information to the church. Can anyone explain what happened and what should have been done to make this happen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How recently had the addresses been updated? I believe there's a significant delay from the time the ward does a send/receive and when the stake gets it. Perhaps as much as a month. If it's longer then that, then it sounds like something that should be checked into.

First thing I'd do is verify that the Ward and Stake are running the same version of MLS.
danpass

Post by danpass »

RussellHltn wrote:How recently had the addresses been updated? I believe there's a significant delay from the time the ward does a send/receive and when the stake gets it. Perhaps as much as a month. If it's longer then that, then it sounds like something that should be checked into.

First thing I'd do is verify that the Ward and Stake are running the same version of MLS.
Since MLS lets you set a mailing address that is different from the street address, you might also make sure that the mailing address is correct. When you print labels from MLS, if the member has a mailing address set, that is the address that will print on the label. If the mailing address is empty, then it defaults to the street address.
supermanforever

Post by supermanforever »

Stake and ward synchronization are frustating at times. I believe the delay is 4 hours, yet I have seen quarterly reports and MP ordinances on different wards that do not show at the stake for weeks and even months afer personally verifiying the information at the ward MLS.

To speed the synchronization process (on emergencies) I have tried a combination of the following: From the ward computer do a send data to stake. On the stake computer do a refresh of membership data.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

This is effective. But, stake clerks that do not have broadband internet to their administrative computer should be aware that the membership refresh takes quite a bit of time on a dial-up connection. This may be one of those "start the task, lock the office, and come back after your block of meetings" kind of jobs.
Clerk Kent wrote: To speed the synchronization process (on emergencies) I have tried a combination of the following: From the ward computer do a send data to stake. On the stake computer do a refresh of membership data.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

As I think about this, it really feels like a backend issue. The data is being communicated by wards into the backend system. But, something is not quite right about the data transfer between ward and stake in the data warehouse. Is there anyone in the IT shop that can comment on the structure of the backend databases and how the synchronization workflow is structured?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”