Youth Temple Recommends

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

It seems like there should be one standard applied to all. It would be a problem to travel to a temple while out of town only to be told to go home for an additional signature. That doesn't make sense.
dhenze

Re: Youth Temple Recommends

Post by dhenze »

Limited use recommends for youth (12-18) to be baptized for the dead and confirmed are issued for one year. The Bishop should always monitor and determine worthiness. There is no requirement for the Stake President to sign. The Temple Presidency does not mandate standards of use. The holder can enter the temple to do baptisms and confirmation as long as there are enough endowed adults to manage. In Idaho Falls my son and his friends went every Thursday morning. It was a great experience for them.
tmgreene1

Post by tmgreene1 »

Who initiated the limited use recommends, the general authorities or the local priesthood leaders and what year did they begin limited use recommends for new converts and youth?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tmgreene1 wrote:Who initiated the limited use recommends, the general authorities or the local priesthood leaders
The local priesthood wouldn't have had the authority to create a new kind of recommend that would be recognized by the temple, so the it must have come from CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Temple recommends have always been issued under the direction of the First Presidency and according to the Handbook.

Limited-use temple recommends have been around since at least the 1960s when I first attended a temple as a youth to do proxy baptisms and confirmations, and probably long before that. They were in the form of a group recommend, where the bishop could list up to 20 youth. The recommend was used one time and kept by the temple. Each time youth attended the temple, the bishop interviewed them and prepared a new group recommend form.

In 2011, the limited-use recommend was still a group form, but a few years later individual limited-use recommends became available, and in April 2016, bishops were instructed to begin issuing limited-use recommends online and limited-use group recommends were no longer used.
enzokaku

Post by enzokaku »

I must submit a list of all youth holding a recommend for the BC meeting. I got it the last time but forgot how to obtain the list.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

enzokaku wrote:I must submit a list of all youth holding a recommend for the BC meeting. I got it the last time but forgot how to obtain the list.
In LCR, go to Reports > Youth Recommend Status.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”