Broadcast email question

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15097
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 am

Techgy wrote:Registration as a user does not control whether they receive your Email. If their name and Email address is listed in the leadership area, they get your Email.


Although it's true that Registration as a user per se does not control whether someone receives e-mail, there are two options on the User Profile (which may be specified at registration time or modified later via the User Profile) which definitely do affect the receiving of e-mail.

  1. A user may choose not to supply an e-mail address (and of course a supplied e-mail address may be incorrect).
  2. There is an option "Show your e-mail address in directories and lists?" If the user selects NO, then there will be no mail icon by their name in the leadership directory or membership lists, so other site users cannot send them e-mail.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 am

Alan_Brown wrote:.....There is no way to choose to receive e-mail sent to Bishops -- the LUWS only allows users to register to receive mail related to certain organizations (HP, Elders, RS, YM, YW, Primary, SA, YSA, or all) in the Notification Options of their User Profile. So a bishop might choose to receive messages sent to all organizations, but so might anyone else in the ward.


Sorry, bad example. However, I believe I answered the question in my previous post. Registration doesn't control whether or not a member receives an Email if their name and Email address is listed in the leadership section of LUWS.

Thanks for the correction.

showseason-p40
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Oregon

Postby showseason-p40 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:16 am

OK, Techgy and Alan, it's all clear as mud!! No really your comments help a lot and do answer my questions. I have been holding off on using the email broadcast feature after hearing some horror stories but it does not appear to be as bad now.

When I was checking this all out I must have checked some box inadvertantly as I got a couple return emails (rejected) about our ward's monthly themes for 2009 which I just added yesterday to the News and Information area.

Earlier posts of wording some included with these broafdcast messages should help me get incorrect addys weeded out and help those getting their first contact to understand why.
Thanks again
Al

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 am

showseason wrote:.....When I was checking this all out I must have checked some box inadvertantly as I got a couple return emails (rejected) about our ward's monthly themes for 2009 which I just added yesterday to the News and Information area.

Earlier posts of wording some included with these broafdcast messages should help me get incorrect addys weeded out and help those getting their first contact to understand why.
Thanks again
Al


I'm a bit confused myself as to what it is that you're asking. However, permit me to respond to one comment you made regarding returned Emails. An individual user is the only person who can control the accuracy of their Email addresses. If a user changes their Email address and doesn't return to the LUWS to update that address, then any Email sent to their account will bounce back to the sender.

This is an ongoing problem. The only way of eliminating these bounced Emails is to either contact the member and help them to update their Email address, or else disable their account so that Email isn't sent to them. I prefer to contact them first and give them the benefit of the doubt, helping them to make the correction first and disabling the account if all else fails.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26216
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:55 am

showseason wrote:I found it interesting that one member of the activities committee who did not have an email icon by her name still was listed on the broadcast email, assuming it was because she was a registered user and the email addy was picked up from there?


That's the only place the email addresses come from. That member probably elected to not display their email address, that's why it's not visible until you click on the email to leadership link.


showseason wrote:If a person listed in the leadership has a email icon but is not registered as a user, do they still get the broadcast email?


Not possible. The only way to have a email icon is if the member has registered with LUWS, supplied a email, and has NOT checked off to hide the address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dmaynes
Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

E-mail icon enabled/disabled

Postby dmaynes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Not possible. The only way to have a email icon is if the member has registered with LUWS, supplied a email, and has NOT checked off to hide the address.


I have some members whose e-mail icon doesn't show up, but if I do an e-mail broadcast from Admin mode to all ward members they are included in the list. If I read your reply correctly this happens because the member has elected to not show the e-mail address in the directories and lists.

The selection for "Show e-mail address in directories and lists" appears to affect all the e-mail that a member can send.

The selections under Notification Options appear to only refer to the Ward Admin's e-mail broadcast to that particular group. I suppose they also apply when a News/Information is added and the Ward Admin elects to send the e-mail with the addition of the item.

I have a particular instance that will illustrate all of the nuances here. I have a member of the bishopric who is has said "No" to show e-mail address. This bishopric member appears also to be subscribed only to the "Young Men" list.

1- Any e-mail to the bishopric by a member will not include him.
2- An e-mail by the ward admin to the Bishopric (in administrator mode) will include that bishopric member.
3- An e-mail by the ward admin to all ward members will include this bishopric member.
4- An e-mail by the ward admin to the High Priests list will not include this member because he is only subscribed to the "Young Men" list. (but right now it includes the Young Women's President because she has elected to receive High Priest e-mail).

I learned this by selecting the different lists and seeing which e-mail addresses were populated as a ward admin. Is there anyway for a ward admin to learn which lists a member has subscribed? Is it possible for a ward admin to change the list subscriptions?

Are there any ideas for training members how the e-mail system works?

Thanks,
Dennis
Ward Website Admin

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15097
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:59 pm

dmaynes wrote:The selection for "Show e-mail address in directories and lists" appears to affect all the e-mail that a member can send.


Yes, that is correct. When a member hides his or her e-mail address from directories and lists, that will stop other members from sending e-mail to them by any means through the web site. As you note below, administrator broadcasts will still be sent to such users (the only way to stop that is for the member to not include an e-mail address in their profile).

dmaynes wrote: The selections under Notification Options appear to only refer to the Ward Admin's e-mail broadcast to that particular group. I suppose they also apply when a News/Information is added and the Ward Admin elects to send the e-mail with the addition of the item.


Yes, and they also affect notification when calendar items are added or changed (a calendar item can be designated as affecting any or all of the organizations on the Notification Options list).

dmaynes wrote: I learned this by selecting the different lists and seeing which e-mail addresses were populated as a ward admin. Is there anyway for a ward admin to learn which lists a member has subscribed? Is it possible for a ward admin to change the list subscriptions?


The technique you used is the one I use as well for finding who has subscribed to which lists. I know of no other.

The Notification Options can only be changed by the individual user; the administrator cannot change those subscriptions.

dmaynes wrote:Are there any ideas for training members how the e-mail system works?


Someone posted a document that they used in their stake to introduce their members to some of the capabilities. I can't find it right off, but I'll keep looking.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26216
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:07 pm

dmaynes wrote:1- Any e-mail to the bishopric by a member will not include him.
2- An e-mail by the ward admin to the Bishopric (in administrator mode) will include that bishopric member.


Well, that's an interesting twist. Unfortunately, I don't know as I have a data set to confirm that.

I think Alan touched on the other points. By in large, I treat it as "it is what it is" and learn experimentally how it works. The Help file is the most you'll see in official documentation. But it is useful, so it's worth checking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15097
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:Someone posted a document that they used in their stake to introduce their members to some of the capabilities. I can't find it right off, but I'll keep looking.


There is one introductory document attached to this post, and an even better one in this post.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15097
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:40 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Well, that's an interesting twist. Unfortunately, I don't know as I have a data set to confirm that.

I think Alan touched on the other points.


Actually, I touched on this point as well in the first paragraph of my post :D. But I can indeed confirm that this is the case, since my ward does have a data set for this scenario.

In our ward's RS presidency one of the counselors has chosen not to list her e-mail address on directories and lists. If I go to the RS presidency in the Leadership Directory as a regular user and click on the "E-Mail Relief Society" icon, the counselor is not included. But if I go to the E-Mail Broadcast page under Administrator Options, and check the "Relief Society Leaders" checkbox, then this counselor is indeed included in that e-mail broadcast.


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests