Copying from scriptures on website

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
k0nod

Copying from scriptures on website

Post by k0nod »

I frequently copy passages from the scriptures at LDS.org for use in my research. Is there some way to do so without the hyperlinks?
rickety

Post by rickety »

If I have understood you correctly, one can remove the hyper links by selecting "PRINT" in the top left hand corner, then on the new page select "Hide footnote indicators".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One method I use to get rid of pesky attributes (font, size, color, hyperlinks, etc) is to past the text into Notepad. Since Notepad is a text editor, the attributes don't follow. I then copy and paste the Notepad version of the text into my end document.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Nice hack. I've got it on our list to look at ways to enable copying without getting the formatting. However, since you are within the browser environment, the browser is doing the copying for you.

Tom
amc79

Try the Options menu.

Post by amc79 »

rickety wrote:If I have understood you correctly, one can remove the hyper links by selecting "PRINT" in the top left hand corner, then on the new page select "Hide footnote indicators".
You don't need to select PRINT. Select OPTIONS, and click the "Hide footnote indicators" box. This allows you to advance to the next chapter or use the search functionality, and copy and past without the hyperlinks or without having to delete the footnote indicators in notepad.
rickety

Post by rickety »

Aaron wrote:You don't need to select PRINT. Select OPTIONS, and click the "Hide footnote indicators" box. This allows you to advance to the next chapter or use the search functionality, and copy and past without the hyperlinks or without having to delete the footnote indicators in notepad.
Yes, that is a better solution. Thank you.
bhall

Post by bhall »

RussellHltn wrote:One method I use to get rid of pesky attributes (font, size, color, hyperlinks, etc) is to past the text into Notepad. Since Notepad is a text editor, the attributes don't follow. I then copy and paste the Notepad version of the text into my end document.
You may also do a Paste Special (Edit, Paste Special, then select Unformatted Text) in Word (eliminates having to paste to Notepad, then paste again to somewhere else). This is helpful for when you are preparing a talk and you want to paste a scripture into a Word document. I setup a keyboard shortcut in Word to quickly access the Paste Special function (CTRL+SHIFT+V). This is also beneficial if you use Word as your e-mail editor in Outlook.

-Brian
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

RussellHltn wrote:One method I use to get rid of pesky attributes (font, size, color, hyperlinks, etc) is to past the text into Notepad. Since Notepad is a text editor, the attributes don't follow. I then copy and paste the Notepad version of the text into my end document.
I always do the same thing. Unfortunately the superscript letters for words that are footnoted still get carried with it, and are then turned back into normal size characters. I always find myself in the hassle of having to go through and delete each footnote's letter from being appended to a word.

It would be nice if you could have a check mark or could flag each verse one by one, and then at the bottom or top of the page click "Display selected verses without formatting", giving a pop up with the plain text, no footnotes, no links, no superscript sillies, no none of that. Just the verse number, a period, and two spaces followed by the plain jane text.

-Jeff
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jeffphil wrote:It would be nice if you could have a check mark or could flag each verse one by one, and then at the bottom or top of the page click "Display selected verses without formatting", giving a pop up with the plain text, no footnotes, no links, no superscript sillies, no none of that. Just the verse number, a period, and two spaces followed by the plain jane text.
Agreed. :cool:
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Local copy of scriptures from floppy product

Post by rmrichesjr »

In the mean time, if the old scripture product on floppies is still available, or if the new CDROM-based one is compatible, it's not difficult to have a local copy of the full text of the standard works and format it however you would like.

If it would be of help to anyone, I have a small C program that can uncompress the files containing the scripture text (but not footnotes or other stuff) and put it into one flat text file. I also have a Perl script that takes references (1 ne 3:7, for example) as arguments and prints the verse(s) as one verse per filled paragraph. If you'd like them, PM or email me. (If I get swamped with requests, I may find a place to upload them to make them available.)

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”