Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
ljosbon

Re: Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Post by ljosbon »

Cleared out cookies on Edge and Firefox. No change. Still a blank page shows.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Hi All,

I have noted that the problem of the notes section not appearing has continued. May I ask if there is another email I should contact for support as this appears to me to not be a problem at my end. Is there a way to request a help ticket?

I am just wondering how I might get this issue up the chain a bit to be carefully reviewed and hopefully fixed. Please look at all the emails of this thread including the short 10 second video clip I uploaded which really shows the problem.

Thanks and warmest regards,
Brother Osbon
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

ljosbon wrote:Hi All,

I have noted that the problem of the notes section not appearing has continued. May I ask if there is another email I should contact for support as this appears to me to not be a problem at my end. Is there a way to request a help ticket?

I am just wondering how I might get this issue up the chain a bit to be carefully reviewed and hopefully fixed. Please look at all the emails of this thread including the short 10 second video clip I uploaded which really shows the problem.

Thanks and warmest regards,
Brother Osbon
This forum is user-to-user tech support. It is not an official support arm for the church. Some church programmers visit occasionally, but there is no guarantee they will see this thread. Official support is accessed by using the feedback link on the bottom of most pages of churchofjesuschrist.org. You may not get an individualized response, but I understand that all feedback is reviewed and routed to the appropriate organization.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Thank you.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I watched your video and observed the problem. I've seen stuff like that happen in the new Gospel Library several times, but never in Notes.

In Gospel Library, sometimes when taking a note the data seems to be unexpected and it causes the Gospel Library page not to render. I'm guessing it could be a similar problem in Notes.

I took a look and the "classic" Notes page is still available. It doesn't work that well, but what would be good for you to do is see if you can see your notes there:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

If you see your notes there, then it may be an indication of some unexpected data is causing the new Notes to fail. I would consider deleting your recent notes (save the content elsewhere if you want to keep it). My guess is that if you delete your most recent note from the classic interface, that the new Notes interface might work again.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Dear Mevans,

Your comment was very helpful. I went to the link and it worked to the older study notes. All the notes were there including a few I had added from the Android app. The new location now has a different behavior. It now shows the following ---

PAGE NOT FOUND -- sorry but the page you're looking for was not found... etc.

I will try your suggestion to see if deleting a note or two will allow the new notes interface to work.

I did not know the older notes section was still available. That is good to know.

Warm regards,
Brother Osbon
mevans

Post by mevans »

I recommend deleting the most recent notes. I suspect something you did recently isn't working with Notes. It's helpful to know that some changes were made with the Android app: that could be a place where an incompatible note was added. If you submit feedback to the Church about the problem, that's a key piece of information to include.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

@mevans. Thank you so very much!!!! That worked!!! :) I went into the old notes section and copied 16 entries of notes and saved them to OneNote so I would have them. I then deleted the 16 or so entries within the old study notes program. (by the way it was you that had sent the link of the old study program that I did not know still existed -- that was very helpful)

Well, once I deleted those 16 entries, I was able to get into the new Notes Program. I am now going to restore my entries. If I have the problem again then I know I have a way to go back. I will do it 5 entries at a time to make sure.

I am so pleased and thank you all for your comments and helping me get to this solution.

Warmest regards,
Brother Osbon in Michigan USA
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If it stops working again after pasting in a specific note, post here and let us know – I'm curious if there are certain special characters or something similar in a specific note that would cause a problem.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

@sbradshaw. I will be happy to report back if the problem occurs again. I restored one note and so far so good. Later on I will restore my other notes.

I am just so happy now it is working again. I use it every day and it is a great placeholder as it were for my daily scripture devotionals.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”