Changing Style Sometimes Creates Duplicate Notes

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevans

Changing Style Sometimes Creates Duplicate Notes

Post by mevans »

Here's another New Experience issue for which I haven't found a reliably-reproducible case: At times when I've tried changing the style on my selected note, I've found that the system sometimes creates more than one note, each with different highlights, and maybe slightly-different selections. This occurs while the style selection dialog is open and I'm just trying to change the color or highlight style.
mevans

Re: Changing Style Sometimes Creates Duplicate Notes

Post by mevans »

This still happens, although I mentioned above that the highlights were different. In what happened today, it appeared that the highlights were the same; just different colors. And both identical notes appeared in the Related Content panel detail (the one where it shows the full note), which made it look like the same note had the highlights twice. I managed to delete one of them. Strange. I still can't figure out how to reliably reproduce this situation.

I was hoping someone else might report seeing this. I submitted Feedback to alert the church about the issue.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Does it actually create a new annotation in the database, or does it just draw a new annotation on the page without removing the old version of the annotation? You can check by refreshing the page when this happens, to see if both annotations remain.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I believe it actually created another annotation. I deleted it, so I can't go back to view it.

I got a response from the church saying this and many other problems were known about. From the message I received, it sounds like there are still major changes going on with the online stuff. I also got another reminder that the old experience is going away.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:Does it actually create a new annotation in the database
It happened again today, so I checked. I opened the Notes page and there were two note entries.
mevans

Post by mevans »

It happened again. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I was making multiple highlights within the same paragraph. The blue markers for the start and end of the note wren't showing up in the correct locations, either. I got a screenshot, but this time I was annotating information in Handbook 1, so I don't think I should post it. Since Feedback doesn't allow attachments, I decided trying to send a PM to @sbradshaw, who has participated in this thread and works for the church. Maybe he can pass it along to someone to review the situation.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I finally came up with a reliable reproduction scenario!

Here are the steps:
  • Highlight a selection that contains no other highlights.
  • A popup window appears with selections such as Mark, Note, Tag, etc...
  • Double-click on Mark. You will now have two notes with the same selection.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I had submitted feedback on this to the church. Someone recently got back to me to ask if it was fixed, and I believe the problem has been resolved!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mevans wrote:I had submitted feedback on this to the church. Someone recently got back to me to ask if it was fixed, and I believe the problem has been resolved!
Hooray!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”