"New Experience" Notes

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
abujnowski

"New Experience" Notes

Post by abujnowski »

In the "New Experience" area, which parallels iOS and Android LDS Library Apps, there is an issue I've noticed with notes. Any carriage returns placed in the notes while in iOS do not show up on the web site in the "new experience" area. It appears that the web visualization of the text does not recognize carriage returns. This nullifies the formatting that was placed there when the text was first entered in iOS (for example, paragraphs, etc.).

Is this a permanent limitation of the way the web version interacts with the LDS Library version, or this is this something that can be fixed?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: "New Experience" Notes

Post by sbradshaw »

I'd recommend sending this as feedback using the feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org (or the New Experience pages). It's most likely a bug.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

How do you create a note in the first place?
Where is basic stuff like this documented?
Thanks for any help you can supply.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dfechser wrote:How do you create a note in the first place?
See my response here to your post in the ~3 weeks studying with the New Experience thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

I appreciate you responding to my question but I cannot get your directions to work: "Do a click-and-drag operation with the mouse to add a highlight. Or should should be able to do something like just double-click a word and you'll see the user interface."

I must be misunderstanding something fundamental here because I don't get it.
I tried clicking and dragging several different words in my current notes but I just get the selection shadow. If I double-click a word I get ... the selection shadow. I've never tried highlighting something in a note before on my phone or in Chrome but I cannot figure out how to do it.
What user interface?
Is there any documentation for any of this?
Thanks for your time.
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

...and I tried creating a note from in an article on the website and it worked fine. I guess there isn't a way to create a blank note from within the Notes page.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dfechser wrote:...and I tried creating a note from in an article on the website and it worked fine. I guess there isn't a way to create a blank note from within the Notes page.
A new note has to be associated either with selected content in a chapter/article/talk, or with a notebook. I think what you want is a note in a notebook:

1. Go to the Notes page (Study.LDS.org > Notes, or Notes.LDS.org).
2. Click the Notebooks tab (third icon from the left, in the left sidebar.
3. (If you don't have any notebooks yet) Tap the "+" button to create a notebook.
4. Open the notebook you want to add the note to.
5. Tap the compose icon (square with a pencil) to write a new note.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”