Fixes to make 2019 Come Follow Me for Families Usable

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevans

Fixes to make 2019 Come Follow Me for Families Usable

Post by mevans »

I submitted Feedback, but thought I'd post here, too.

I started looking at the 2019 Come Follow Me for Families curriculum. I see some problems that I hope will be addressed in the few weeks that remain in 2018 so we can better use the curriculum.

New Experience
  • The New Experience seems to work for the Come, Follow Me curriculum; however, when I click on a link to a scripture, it takes me to New Experience pages that still don't work. I've reported problems previously (as have others) with the New Experience not working. When I go to a scripture, I get a blank page. This is an improvement over what I experienced previously, as at least I have the toggle to go to the old experience and see the scriptures. Still, it would be nice to have it working.
  • The New Experience is still cumbersome. I really hope the UI would improve. It's more clicks to get things done now. It's like the web browser view is set up for touch screens, not people with mice. Please improve the user interface on this. It really needs some improvement.
  • The New Experience Notes page is still lacking important features found on the Old Experience Notes page.
Old Experience
  • When I toggle the Come, Follow Me manual to the Old Experience, I get a Not Found message.
  • Due to the recent header changes on lds.org, the Old Experience still has the annoying "Welcome to Study Tools" bubble that pops up on every page. Is this going to get fixed?
  • I'm also having intermittent problems with marking even working with the Old Experience, even when the Study Tools bar appears at the bottom of the page.
I really like to study online, but the state of the tools is making that difficult. Is there any hope there will be improvements before 2019?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Fixes to make 2019 Come Follow Me for Families Usable

Post by sbradshaw »

I was able to duplicate some of your problems following scripture links from the Come Follow Me manual. I'd recommend sending it in via the feedback link at the bottom of the left column on the new experience pages. I've also noticed that certain parts of the design seem to be optimized for touch at the expense of a regular desktop experience. I think parts of that design are intentional, but other parts could probably be refined based on specific feedback.

Which features on the new Notes page are you hoping for, from the old Notes page?
The new pages are continually being improved, but it's unlikely that the old pages will receive any significant updates moving forward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I received a reply from the feedback I sent. I was told that soon the New Experience will be the only experience available. Eeek. I previously submitted feedback about problems with the New Experience and was basically told they didn't want input now and to be patient. I've been patient, but now the problems remain and it sounds like we'll soon lose the "Old Experience" that actually works (sort of). I've experienced many problems even getting content to appear in the New Experience. I really hope something gets fixed soon.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:and was basically told they didn't want input now and to be patient.
Sounds like they're in the middle of a update with previously identified issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
curtismset

Post by curtismset »

Hello.
Speaking to tech fixes in the 2019 portion of Come Follow Me (New Testament), why have all my study notes taken in the orange 'Impressions' portion of the app lessons Disappeared?? How can I retrieve these?
mevans

Post by mevans »

curtismset wrote:Hello.
Speaking to tech fixes in the 2019 portion of Come Follow Me (New Testament), why have all my study notes taken in the orange 'Impressions' portion of the app lessons Disappeared?? How can I retrieve these?
I'm not understanding what happened. Are you talking about the web site or the Gospel Library mobile app? Can you attach a screen shot showing your problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

curtismset wrote:why have all my study notes taken in the orange 'Impressions' portion of the app lessons Disappeared?? How can I retrieve these?
There are several different editions of Come Follow Me. Notes treats them as separate, even if they have the same content. Make sure you're looking in the same version as you took notes in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”