Size of print when printing a talk from the Ensign

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
hartley31

Size of print when printing a talk from the Ensign

Post by hartley31 »

It used to be when I would print a talk from one of the Church magazines the print was normal, filled the page and did not use too many pages. Now when I print a talk the print is larger, line spacing is larger and it uses too many pages. Is there a way to go back to the old format so that I use fewer pages? I feel like I am using up too many trees.
Hartley Fredrickson, hfredri@attglobal.net
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Size of print when printing a talk from the Ensign

Post by sbradshaw »

Some printers have options to print two pages on a sheet. Other than that, the only thing I can think of would be copying the text to a blank document and printing, or printing the PDF version (there's a down-arrow icon towards the top of the talk where you can get the PDF). I would send this as feedback using the link at the bottom of LDS.org – you're right, the updated HTML5 magazine content prints in an almost ridiculously-large font.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I also recently noticed how long the articles are now, as I just printed one for a home teaching family and it was 15 pages long. Fortunately, I have a double-sided printer and put 2 pages on a page. That shortened it.

Regarding copying and pasting the text: I've had bad experiences with that yielding results that are usable without a lot of manual cleanup.

Another option is to download the PDF version of the article if it's available. I think PDF versions start being available around 2000 or so (and the article I was trying to print was unfortunately from the 1990s, so that wasn't an option for me).
hartley31

Post by hartley31 »

Is there a way to get the Church to modify the print size o give an option for print like it used to be?
mevans

Post by mevans »

hartley31 wrote:Is there a way to get the Church to modify the print size o give an option for print like it used to be?
Look for the Feedback link...it's probably at the bottom of the page. You can send your feedback. It is reviewed. Sometimes it takes a while, as volunteer church service missionaries are usually the first line of response.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mevans wrote:Regarding copying and pasting the text: I've had bad experiences with that yielding results that are usable without a lot of manual cleanup.
In Microsoft Word, you can use Paste Special to paste unformatted text – that might help. If you're using macOS (maybe something similar for Windows), in any other app (besides Microsoft Word) you can paste whatever you copied without formatting using the shortcut Command-Option-Shift-V. Or you can paste into TextEdit / NotePad as plain text, then convert it to rich text, and it will remove the formatting for you.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Angelmom2003

Post by Angelmom2003 »

I was having this same problem on one of my devices, but not on others, so it made me think that it could be a setting. And sure enough, when the print window popped up, one of the settings is called Scale. I changed it from 174 to 100, the talk went from 8 pages to 4!

Hope this helps you as well.
bakerbonnettkay

Post by bakerbonnettkay »

Is there a way to print only the text of a talk and no images, photos or pictures? And how do I make the font larger?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

bakerbonnettkay wrote:Is there a way to print only the text of a talk and no images, photos or pictures? And how do I make the font larger?
When I need to do this, I highlight the text in the article and copy it, then use the Paste-special function in a word processor to paste just the text. There is some cleanup required as you will likely get excess items you don't want, but once that is done you can change the font type and size, apply columns, etc. to make your copy of the talk work for your needs.
mkucera

Post by mkucera »

IT"S STILL an issue
and it's so bafffling because the people who usually print these are the OLD people :) who can't see very well anyway.
fill up the page people! marketing dept needs to get on this. :)

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”