Apple TV app store + tvos

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
jeremyhanna

Apple TV app store + tvos

Post by jeremyhanna »

So I had been hoping for this for a long, long time, but Apple finally introduced an app store for the Apple TV today along with tvos, which runs the new apps. I'm not sure what the process is for initiating a new platform but I'm hoping that the Mormon Channel and BYUtv (and perhaps LDS Music?) can make it on there given that it's Swift based so at least the underlying code should be similar. I would think the main difference would be the UI elements in the new OS.

For any interested:
The developer website which includes a download for the developer kit: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/
An introduction tutorial by someone outside of apple: http://www.madeupbypeople.com/blog/2015 ... le-tv-apps
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Apple TV app store + tvos

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know if Mormon Channel and BYUtv will come to Apple TV and tvOS, but the LDS Music app is unlikely until we can get more developers on the project. Right now there's only one developer and most of his time is consumed with Gospel Library for iOS.

If you're a developer, feel free to join the LDS Music for iOS project here on LDSTech and pitch in!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jmarne

Post by jmarne »

I'm a registered apple developer. I'd be happy to chip in to get BYUtv on tvOS. I've got a little bit of experience with iOS development. Haven't looked at tvOS APIs yet but I'm sure it's fairly straightforward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Note that BYUtv is not developed directly by the Church in the same way that Mormon Channel and LDS Music are. To help with a BYUtv app, you'll need to work with BYU Broadcasting.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I know this is not a church product but I wondered if anyone knows the status on this?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The first religious content seen was at least one church and two Bible apps, both were the text, one was paid and the other free.

Thanks to slidetoplay.com I was able to see an early listing of top apps and a member built a 'LDS Sing Along' app which quickly got some early LDS users of the new Apple TV. That was because the app was categorized in the Music category. This was before the tvOS app store got a charts function, Slide to Play found a way to extract that data and by the time I saw their page, Apple had integrated charts into that app store.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks for the info. My hope was that since BYUTV has an app for regular IOS and on the Roku, that they would be early on the tvOS app store. Sounds like they are not there yet.
chako

Post by chako »

I would love to have this app on the new Apple TV as well (4th Gen). Just adding my vote.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

My family will be receiving the new Apple TV for Christmas. I would also love to see the BYU TV App brought to this platform. Until then, though, there's always airplay.
byulasfjazz

Post by byulasfjazz »

Please I have been searching every day for s BYU TV app on the new Apple TV. Is there an update or estimate for a release date?

Return to “In The News”