MyHomeTeachingApp.com

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
johnshaw

Re: MyHomeTeachingApp.com

Post by johnshaw »

stevereed wrote:Will you be able to report home/visiting teaching visits through your LDS account? That feature alone would be enormously helpful and appreciated!
Steve, we can't trust that members of the church will contain themselves when 'reporting' on their neighbors. The problems area round a private institution collecting data that could be private and protected, from a legal perspective.

Laws come into play about storage and discovery in these cases the church would just rather avoid. Think about the prospect of someone reporting online that Bro. Smith continues to beat is wife, etc.. It's just TOOOOO dangerous. It'll never happen
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
stevereed

Post by stevereed »

Thanks JD,

Does anyone know if the church is considering an online reporting feature? It would be nice to be able to see who your home teachers are, and what families you are assigned when you log into your account, or viewing the LDS Tools app. A step further would be the ability to simply tap a button next to your families for that month to send the report in.

I was just released from a second term as Elders Quorum president and it is quite the chore to print out paper slips and pass them around. It seems that many elders simply lose them and then don't know who their families are weeks or months later.

We can view various church leaders and callings online, so why not be able to see your home teachers? This seems like it would be such a fundamentally important feature to give to home and visiting teachers, I'm just curious as to why it doesn't exist?

I even built my own home teaching reporting tool using Wordpress at http://returnreport.com/. It's very basic, there is no database of information, it's just a simple web form.
stevereed

Post by stevereed »

johnshaw wrote: Steve, we can't trust that members of the church will contain themselves when 'reporting' on their neighbors. The problems area round a private institution collecting data that could be private and protected, from a legal perspective.

Laws come into play about storage and discovery in these cases the church would just rather avoid. Think about the prospect of someone reporting online that Bro. Smith continues to beat is wife, etc.. It's just TOOOOO dangerous. It'll never happen
Oops, I just barely saw this. I understand the problems in having some kind of online reporting where information about families is being stored. I agree that online reporting that involves storing detailed information about families is probably not the best thing to do.

However, I want to be clear that I am NOT requesting a feature where text would be recorded, just a simple checkbox or button that indicates that a visit was made. This is already available in MLS, but it is done manually by a leader. All I am suggesting is extending this feature to maybe at least the senior companion so he could report that a visit was made though the system.

Sample implementation
The way this could work is a home/visiting teacher could log into their account or pull up LDS Tools, click on Home/Visiting Teaching and view a tab where they could see both the home and visiting teachers assigned to their household as well as the home and visiting teachers that they are assigned to (This might be helpful for husbands who might not know who their spouse's visiting teachers are since they only visit the women while the home teachers visit the family). On the assigned families page there could be a simple "report visit" button, when clicked, a date is entered for the visit and the system records it (like I mentioned earlier, we are already recording this information). Leaderships could still hold interviews, as they currently do, to understand the specific needs of each family.

This way, home teachers could report their visits immediately and conveniently. Certainly a home teacher could simply lie about visiting a family, but they could just as easily lie by emailing their district supervisor. If we are trusting the well-being of families with these home teachers, couldn't we likewise trust them to push a button indicating they made a visit? I would assume that lying home teachers would be less of a concern than honest home teachers NOT reporting at all because they can't remember who they need to report to (which is very common from my experience).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

stevereed wrote:I want to be clear that I am NOT requesting a feature where text would be recorded, just a simple checkbox or button that indicates that a visit was made. This is already available in MLS, but it is done manually by a leader. All I am suggesting is extending this feature to maybe at least the senior companion so he could report that a visit was made though the system.
First, I have no insight into what is planned for online HT/VT recording if it happens late this Fall. I expect, though, that it will be very similar to MLS now, where the secretary or leader simply records whether or not a visit was made.

I would not expect members to have access to record their own visits. I would expect the member to report to the HT or VT supervisor, and for the priesthood or Relief Society to then record the visit, just as they do now in MLS. Or maybe even get the ward clerk to do it for them still.

I do appreciate your suggestion that the companionship be able to record the visit. I do not know if that is in the plans, but you would certainly be able to request it using any of the Feedback pages at LDS.org to suggest it.
stevereed

Post by stevereed »

Ok, I just didn't know if the folks who were in a position to create or approve these features lurked in these forums or not ;) In the mean time, I guess we'll keep using ReturnReport.com
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stevereed wrote:Ok, I just didn't know if the folks who were in a position to create or approve these features lurked in these forums or not ;)
The developers sometimes visit, but I've not seen evidence that those that make that kind of decision lurk here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

stevereed wrote:Does anyone know if the church is considering an online reporting feature?
Online HT/VT has been a long running forum topic. It has been discussed long before this forum came to be in 2006 in the Yahoo group that was the forerunner of LDSTech Forum. Those discussions showed that the Church had considered some of the private development efforts but then decided not to use any of what had been done. So there is evidence that consideration has been ongoing for quite some time.

Unfortunately, those who discuss these capabilities and make the decisions about possible implementation do not release any of that information. All we can do is speculate and continue to provide feedback through the LDS.org feedback link and up the chain through priesthood leadership.

The announcement in July was the first we heard in the forum community about anything official for online HT/VT capabilities. Even that announcement has provided no details as to the capability that will be rolled out later this year.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

stevereed wrote:Will you be able to report home/visiting teaching visits through your LDS account? That feature alone would be enormously helpful and appreciated!
Members will NOT be able to self-report their home and visiting teaching visits online.

Return to “Links & Resources”